Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-10 backfire problem

Kent

Hey, folks, new to working on small engines. I have a B-10 Early. I got it with a house I bought last summer. It ran ok, but pretty rough last summer. Took a lot to get it started, lots of starting fluid spray, but finally got it going. It runs very rough, backfires a lot, and stalls. I've cleaned the plug, set the carb back to the basic settings, and adjusted the points. Still, lots of backfiring. Any suggestions?

Sounds like a valve not sealing.Could be carbon build up or burnt valve,also check for a broken spring.It is not a big job to remove the head and check the valves. You may need the services of a small engine repair shop if a complete valve job is needed.

Sounds like the same problem I had until I cleaned out my gas tank of all the old debri and turpentine, and rebuilt the carb. Runs like a Simplicity now. KS

I'm guessing the points and plug is the problem.Also it might have a weak coil? BECAUSE of a mice or chipmunk nest above said coil in the blower housing,,.They chew the insulation off the high tension lead making it ground out// backfire.The #1 problem of old B&S engs. engs.! dlc

Pulling the head and cleaning the carbon is a good idea. Also it may not run good on the basic carb settings. They are only a starting point to get the engine running so you can adjust the carb. Other than being new to working on small engines are you a wrench-head. If the easy stuff doesn't work you might have to get into that puppy. Tim

Have to disagree with you Brad - we use Champion spark plugs almost exclusively and without problems, considering a rather conservative estimate of over 10,000 we have sold throughout the years. Maybe you got the one in a million that was defective.

Isn't it so amazing how something so simple-get it simple- can get us all frustered and all. Just think if all our problems were so easy-ally solved. Now if we just knew who or what puts these "spells" on our tractors. Hey just some "foood" for thought. >>->happyjack<-<<

It was backfiring throught the muffler. I replaced the plug. I re-set the points. I changed the oil and put in an additive to clean valves, etc. I put in new gas with a stabilizer. Nothing, didn't catch at all, even with starting fluid. Re-set the points again, still nothing. Detached the spark plug wire to check for spark, and it turned over. Re-attached the wire, started right up, and didn't backfire at all. Go figure. I'd like to know what was wrong, but I'm of the "if it ain't broke" school. Thanks, all.

He-He-He, Sounds like the spark plug wire was not on tight and when it did get the plug to spark it was not timed right. I have a B-10 early too and the same thing happend to me. Also anyone with an Allis-Chalmers lawnmower, stay away from champion spark plugs, Last time I used one in my mower it started running rough and wouldn't start next time. I tried a different spark plug and it worked fine then. Also the new champion spark plugs the ones that are supposed to start easier really work, But just don't use reg. champion spark plugs they are no good. That is my buck's worth, Have a good day -((BradW))-

I don't know Dave - lets hope it does it again so we can find out! :) Backfiring through the muffler may indicate valve trouble. If it doesn't want to start again see if the engine has any compression by turning it by hand a few revolutions - if there is no rebound you may have a stuck valve - just something to look out for.

How's this for an update. Went out yesterday to mow the lawn, and the thing started up in about 6 seconds. Fastest it's ever started. Go figure, but as long as it's working, I'll quietly thank the small gas engine gods . . .