Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

  • Announcements

    • Kent

      Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

      If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

      Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

      See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
thedaddycat

42" Blower Rebuild

Recommended Posts

thedaddycat
I decided to rebuild that 42" blower I got at Brooklyn. The aguer was locked up so it needed new bearings, which at about $10 each cost twice what the blower did. Here's the wear bar removed. It has a flat spot but plenty of meat left to it.

I used the grinder with a wire brush to prep it and remove the rust. Here is the shell and wear bar primed with Rustoleum Fast Drying Primer.

Here are Krylon Sun Yellow Gloss, Rustoleum Sunburst Yellow, and Color Place Sun Yellow. I'm going with the Rustoleum Sunburst Yellow on the blower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
roma3112
kirk, i have the exact same project waiting for me :) I had a real good 42" blower but i modified it to fit my new sovereign now it wont fit the 3112. rather than let it rust to nothing I think i will take my time and make it look and run llike new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
johnmonkey
Looks good I just bought one from Dan (rokon) I need the front hitch. It looks alot like yours. Do you have the model #? I also need the hitch part that has the pulleys on it. Do you know if they are available? Thanks John H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stumpy
Kirk, Thanks for the heads-up on those Fafnir bearing numbers. They had a couple of 'em at our local industrial supply house...socked me 14 bucks a piece for them though. Went ahead and picked up new flanges as they were only a buck per pair, and a new driven pulley for a ten spot since mine was buggered a bit. Still a bit less than 40 bucks...and well worth it. A couple of months with a 42 inch blower sure spoiled me as far as going back to a blade :). Gonna have twenty inches or so to blow by morning but that's ok...as long as the blade can again be retired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stumpy
It wasn't too bad...the shaft on the sprocket end had a little wear but not enough to prevent function. Caught it in time. Suppose I should get out and get on it...had about 18 additional inches in the last eight hours on top of what came down yesterday, and it's snowing hard at this point. Time to finish a cup o' tea, choke down another biscuit, and get on it. So it goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×