Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
87gmc4x4

Need some engine help

87gmc4x4
I just bought my new year project it is an old briggs cast iron motor, but It doesnt have any marks on saying what horsepower it is. Can somebody please help me out? The model is AR6 the type is 208093

87gmc4x4
thank you kent, it is a 1hp or a 1-3/4hp model, made in may of 1936, with a 6:1 gear reduction attached. But i have one problem. I had the head to make sure the piston was moving and no broken rod, but the one valve is stuck open. what can i do to fix it? or should i stick it on ebay for sale?

thedaddycat
Mike, I have a Clinton engine with the reduction box on the side if that would be of any interest to your friend. It spins freely but I have not tried to start it yet.

87gmc4x4
I found a guy locally who will rebuild my motor for me, but he will also buy it so, im thinking i will sell it to him and then i wont have to worry about shipping the 130 pound object.

upstatemike
Kirk, What's the cost, including shipping?? I'll see him this weekend. It's for an old 2 wheeler, don't know exactly how old, but he wants to power it with old iron to bring it to the show this spring. I've had 2 Clintons over the years, one on an old Gorman Rupp pump and the other was a stand alone, they both ran good and I thought they were well built, but never heard they're reputation. What's your opinion??

thedaddycat
I have no experience with them, this one was on a Garden Aide two wheeled walking tractor. In fact, if he wants to have the whole thing with the snow plow, have him email or PM me.....