Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need some engine help

87gmc4x4

I just bought my new year project it is an old briggs cast iron motor, but It doesnt have any marks on saying what horsepower it is. Can somebody please help me out? The model is AR6 the type is 208093

thank you kent, it is a 1hp or a 1-3/4hp model, made in may of 1936, with a 6:1 gear reduction attached. But i have one problem. I had the head to make sure the piston was moving and no broken rod, but the one valve is stuck open. what can i do to fix it? or should i stick it on ebay for sale?

there is a cover, but right now im in no shape to do any work to the thing. What would be a good price on this motor?

I don't know if I would worry about a price if you are putting it on Ebay. Let the bidding do its thing. The other option is to search Ebay and see what they are bringing.

My neighbor sold a 1939 model last year for $100, as I recall -- but it would turn freely. Didn't know if it would run or not... For what that's worth...

John, When will you put it on e-bay, I've got a friend in need of a vintage-cast-gear reduction Briggs and I'll let him know...Mike

im not john but i will be putting it up once i get the valve fixed. its spins freely and is a 6:1 reduction. the piston moves freely. This is a 1936 model

Mike, I have a Clinton engine with the reduction box on the side if that would be of any interest to your friend. It spins freely but I have not tried to start it yet.

I found a guy locally who will rebuild my motor for me, but he will also buy it so, im thinking i will sell it to him and then i wont have to worry about shipping the 130 pound object.

Kirk, What's the cost, including shipping?? I'll see him this weekend. It's for an old 2 wheeler, don't know exactly how old, but he wants to power it with old iron to bring it to the show this spring. I've had 2 Clintons over the years, one on an old Gorman Rupp pump and the other was a stand alone, they both ran good and I thought they were well built, but never heard they're reputation. What's your opinion??

I have no experience with them, this one was on a Garden Aide two wheeled walking tractor. In fact, if he wants to have the whole thing with the snow plow, have him email or PM me.....