Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

'New" Muffler for the Landlord ??

MPH

Since this neat little stack blew apart after a couple hours of igloo building,

I salvaged this one off the Onan from the ditchwitch. ruined one with an oil filter strap, so I cut this one close to the base, then split the pipe with the sawall,chisle and hammer, worked good.

Now my question is, since its exit is on the side, half way around, which way do I blow it? Would like to blow down but that only misses the carb by about 1 1/2 inches and I don't really want to stick it out more. If I blow forward some of the holes are pointing toward the rain, not that its likely to sit outside in the rain, but life does throw curve balls sometimes. Any thoughts??? MPH

Geez, Marty there are a ton of possibilities there, first idea would be to make a shield not unlike the winterizing kit so that it covers the couple of holes that would let water into it.You could use a large hose clamp to hold it on the muffler. Second idea would be puttin' it on a 90 elbow then you might have a variety positions that won't light up the carb or your toe!:D:D

I had one of those neat little stacks. When I bought it I was told that it was off of a twelve horse kohler for a gravely tractor. It worked get till I was really loading the tractor mowing heavy grass on day. The stack blew out the top, just like yours did. I had it welded back in and then it blew the bottom out. I was only using it on a 10 hp briggs. It just couldn't the the whomp of that old single. Marty, If I had to choose the direction using the straight pipe you have on there, I would just turn it a few degrees away from the carb and let it go.

Turn it the way you want then drill 1 or 2 small holes in the lowest side to allow water to escape. Most mufflers have some type of drain hole to get rid of exess water.