Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I guess there are still a few deadbeats - UPDATE

Brent_Baumer

Hi all. Just want to vent a little about getting the shaft from a club member for the first time on a sale. Back in Nov. someone posted a want ad for a Sunstrand hydro pump. I happened to have this pump in "the pile"

I got the pump in a deal with a bunch of other stuff from a "junk" dealer I bought out. He said it was good and that he had removed it for a buyer and the buyer never came to get it. Anyway, I offered the pump to the club member with the following stipulations. 1. I did not know for certain the pump was good. 2. If he paid $20 for shipping I'd send it to him if it turned out to be good he'd send me $40 for it. 3. If it turned out bad, he was out $20 for shipping and the deal done. He agreed and sent me $20. I mailed it to him at a cost of $21 on 11/22 and he confirmed receipt a couple days later and said he was going to install it over the Thanksgiving holiday. No word through mid December. I emailed him to ask him the status on 12/14. He said he had not had time to install (understandable), and since he hadn't he'd just go ahead and send me the $40. Well, it's 2004 and no funds have arrived. I have sent items to other members who needed them bad, and some I just trusted, without getting payment up front, (I NEVER do this with ebay, just club members, BTW), and the members have always come through, until now. The name will be forthcoming should funds not arrive.........Thanks for listening to me cry a little....Brent

Oh - there is new want ad posted for a hydro pump in the classifieds now. This is NOT the member I am referring to, so if you can help that guy please do. Wish I could, but don't have anymore pumps. Brent

Should have asked the $40 up front as each valve in it is worth and easy $50. NEw they are over $100. A new pump assembly is something like $1200.00. I sell whole pump units when I have them in working condition for $300 + shipping. This guy not only robbed you, he's being foolish for not paying the meager $40 to begin with, even with no gaurentees.

I know Sam. Just hesitant since I didn't know if the thing was any good or not. I'd never pay $300 for one myself unless it was for a very late model. I'd just part the tractor out and buy another one. Brent

Brent, my reply wasn't meant to kick at you while youre down, its just thatthis guy doesn't begin to appreciate the favor you were doing him to begin with...

I checked with Attica Hydraulic Exchange about getting a Vickers rebuilt. I guess they take yoiurs as a core and give you a freshly refurbished on off the shelf. Anyhow, an old Vickers is worth $75-100 to them as a core. For $40 for a Sundstrand, even one that's "Condition Unknown", is giving away the store on your part and this person should be posting about what a great guy you are...... The possibility of public disclosure and a ruined reputation might be enough to sway them into upholding their obligation......

In the other site that I use, they have a For Sale and Wanted Forum. There is a Good and Bad forum there that you rate your dealings with other members. I know this would be a lot of work to do for someone, but maybe not a bad ideal? http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,7398882~root=forsale~mode=flat

brent sorry to year about the deal. The one thing i like about this place is the fact that we all seem to get along and i would trust just about any of the "old timers" here in any kind of similaaar deal to the one you put together. I think that mabee some sort of a for sale feed back forum may be a good idea i belong to a club where they have somthing just like that i will post a link for the "club elders " to look over. i hope you make out. take care john here is the link: [url][/url]http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewforum.php?f=5

Brent sorry to here that your deal went sour, hope it take a turn for the better before you disclose the name. I've had a number of dealings with club members here and have had only the best of luck.:)

Since were on the subject, I had a club member stiff me out of $30.00 for the cab I have on my Ultima.This is over a year maybe two years ago, I was new to the club and did not want to make waves. I mentioned it in a previous post but I never posted his name,I wish I had.:(!:(!:(! IMO if private communication does not bring satisfactory results, I say post his name, what other deterrant do we have.Any responsible self-respecting adult would not want that reputation.

One of the problems with these type stories is that without naming the person everyone becomes a suspect. Some people will read the intial post but never read future posts where someone may be named . That's not fair to the majority of people who are honest. Is the "deadbeat" me, you, him, her?

I havent had any problem with anyone.I agree with dutch alot of people dont recheck the post after they read it the first time.Tony

I am really soRry that you were cheated out of a pump. I would love if anyone had given me somethin that good for that price. Heck I'd even give him some extra money. I wish that there was somthing that I could do for you. Sorry for the mistake. I didnt realize that Michael didn't log out. This message is from bkassulke. Sorry about that.

sorry to hear of the sour transaction. I stumbled onto this site after starting the restoration of my grandfather's landlord 2010. I really plan on using this site for a lot of informaion. It is too bad that people take advantage of the people trying who help them out. The guy that stole from you probably leads a miserable life anyway.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I have been stiffed only once on ebay and never on this site. It is the exception here and not the rule thankfully.

Terry9 - Just emailed the guy the link. Simply said to check it out. 'freak, he's from Illinois. Are my old friends from Milwaukee correct in referring to those from Illinois as FIB's and FISH??????? Oh - sorry Sam, forgot you're from Illinois. Wouldn't classify you as either......Brent

quote:
Originally posted by Brent_Baumer
Terry9 - Just emailed the guy the link. Simply said to check it out. 'freak, he's from Illinois. Are my old friends from Milwaukee correct in referring to those from Illinois as FIB's and FISH??????? Oh - sorry Sam, forgot you're from Illinois. Wouldn't classify you as either......Brent
I appreciate the exclusion, and can understand you friends sentiments....but there is a bunch of other good characters and Club Members here too.

quote:
Originally posted by dutch
One of the problems with these type stories is that without naming the person everyone becomes a suspect. Some people will read the intial post but never read future posts where someone may be named . That's not fair to the majority of people who are honest. Is the "deadbeat" me, you, him, her?
I'm going to add this subject (what to do about deadbeats) to my list of Club business that needs to be discussed in the Club business forum when the 15th rolls around and a firm membership is established officially.

Only been stiffed once by a club member to the tune of about $150.00 But I figured it was as much my fault as his, I trusted HIM for that much. The problem for me is I had intended to pay someone else for another tractor with the money, so that put me in a bad way with another member.I try to keep my work funds and hobby funds separate, that way I don't mess up with my living expenses. With 3 kids and a bus. to keep up that little transaction realy hurt.

D-17, Why is it your fault if someone rips you off? I have felt that way myself when I got taken, still do to some extent over the hydro pump, but again - has our society gotten to the point where we should expect to be robbed if we don't take every precaution to prevent it? I sure hope not. Brent

Before we start naming names, make dang sure its LEGAL and there will be no chance for any trouble for those NOT involved in a bum deal and or transaction. I see this senario, a person ends up on a "blacklist" of some sort, other members can then go to the profile and see real names, addresses and such..not sure thats a "good thing" What if its a person underage? I dont think ebay allows that personal information do they? Anybody belong to anyother kind of club that deals with this issue? I hear ya tho Brent, it took a burn dealing with a club member as well and have heard other stories. Just because someones a club member dont mean they wont snooker another. Just like anywhere else. The one bad experience however pales compared to the many GREAT ones Ive had with other members. Its still the best site ive been to. Good luck Brent. DougM