Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hard lesson to learn!!!

Muligan

I recently fired up the old Sim. to mow the yard and didn't check the oil. Next thing I knew I was putting a new motor in the old girl. Don't forget to check your oil regularly.

When something like this happens you will now usually check the oil level regularly - it's something about all those $$$ that helps remind the old forgetful memory banks - and the piggy bank too! :) It was probably due anyway right? Don't feel too bad - at least it is worth the investment. When the original Broadmoors were a regular seller we would sometimes replace the engines every 10 years or so - some people would be on their 3rd engine and the rest of the tractor just kept on working away. It makes me wonder if the original engineers had any idea just how long some of these tractors were going to last!

Jeff, I agree, but we used to sell these engines and would see them 7 or 8 years old and running great, and some we would see in a year or two smoking like a fire in the Lucky Strike factory. The difference was that some people would change the oil about every 10 to 15 hrs. The other ones we could almost pull the oil out through the fill hole with a needle nosed pliers. Before oil filters the only way to get the dirt out was Change the Oil Often. Lead on, Al

Well I got my B-12 because it's former owner ran it without oil and the engine threw the rod. I paid $100 for the tractor and at that time it was only 5 years old. So running the engine without oil can be a good thing, for someone else. Tim