Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

16 hp briggs

Ronald Hribar

I have a 16 hp briggs motor which i think came off a a gilson. The pan has a large diameter hole cast into it and it has a dipstick tube out of the block and extends to top of head. It has a gear type starter. I can not find model number on any part of sheet metal on motor. where do I look for model number? Is the pan from 16Hp briggs that is in my 3314 interchangeable? I want to rebuild and put it in 3314 and use what drove S/G to drive hydraulic pump or an alternator, depending what type of lift i replace manual lift with.

You should have an angled flat spot on your new engine block that you can drill and tap for the real short dipstick and and fill tube. And you should be OK on swapping oil pans. The model and serial numbers were mostly stamped in the side of the blower housing on the same side of the carb.

that angled spot is under the starter will the short dipstick clear the starter? I found the number, on my other briggs it is up by the head. The serial number is 3264370135-03-7703211. do i interpret this as Mar 21,1977 ? Is this a desirable 16hp briggs or are all 16 hp single cylinder engines the same basic constructuction. I know they have different types of ignition, charging and starting systems. Is lubrication systems all the same?

I'm in a similar circumstance with a 15HP out of a Gilson. I need to swap oil pans too... Won't the long dipstick work on your tractor, with its tilting hood? The 16HP that I have in my HB-216 has the long one -- but it requires that I remove the hood to check the oil. I was able to loosen the top mounting bracket for the tube and push it around far enough to where it would clear the hood. Other than starter, ignition and charging system, I think internally all the 16HP were the same. Some that were intended for stationary power plants (generators, welders, etc.) had a tapered crankshaft, but that's about the only differences I've heard of... But, I'm certainly no expert! :D

I am having a similar situation with a 16HP briggs that I've got. It came off a Yazoo and it has the oil pan like on the foot dragger tractors and I'm going to put it on a 7013 RBT so I'm going to drill a hole on the block for a dipstick and then put my old engine's oil pan on it. The flat spot to drill out is on the opposite side of engine from where the starter is mounted, at least it is on mine.

Yes i can use dipstick the way it is and raise hood when checking oil. If your flatspot is on opposite side of motor,won't it interfere with carb?

Strangely enough I too have 16 hp from a gilson but it needs a little more than oil pan .......like a rod and piston LOL [img]/club2/attach/reeds/dscn0611m.jpg[/img] At least the block looks salvageable and it has the built in alternator too.

Sounds like a lotta folks are doing right to some old gilsons, rob the briggs off of them. The two I've had the briggs were syncro balanced. Oil pans should swap out, and you dated it correctly. Would it be possible to shorten the dipstick and tube? Or put a nice gradual curve in it to clear the hood? MPH

Marty you can do whatever you want. Just recalibrate the dipstick, I.E. change you full and add marks to suit your tube.