Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
bigcountry

"New" tractors

bigcountry
Well I finally got a tractor to replace the '83 Simplicity 4211H I sold. I know I'm gonna catch a lot of grief for this, but I bought a 1970 John Deere 140 H1 (its a keeper), and a K-mart Power Pro 18hp (for sale, once its fixed up). Now, I thought a long time before I bought anything, so I'll explain my reasoning. My best friend's uncle had this John Deere 140 in a enclosed shed and the tractor is in overall good shape, so Friday night I went and looked at it and he was asking $300. I figured that was one heckuva deal, he said he'd send me all the shop manuals for it, since he's a JD mechanic, and he said he could find some attachments for it at the dealer for cheap, so I bought it. Now, 140's are rare around here, but parts are still available through dealers (8 dealers within an hour's drive). I did make a good faith effort to find a A/C-Simplicity though. I went to the local Simplicity/MF dealer (about 4 times as far away as the nearest JD dealer) and they had just moved to a new location and had sold all of their back-lot/old A/C and Simplicity garden tractors and equipment to the scrap dealer. Only thing they could offer me was a burned up Farmall Super A. They, in turn pointed me to a small lawnmower shop about 10 miles away. I went to that shop and the man took me around back and it was a goldmine if you are into MTD's and Murrays. There was this K-Mart Power Pro (looks very similar to a Craftsman) that was in pretty good shape and was complete, and it has a 18hp Briggs 2 cylinder horizontally opposed engine. The man wanted $50 for it, and I figured the engine was at least worth that much, since it looked like it had just come out of the box. I got it home and tried to crank it and it's got a stuck intake valve on the right cylinder, so tomorrow I'm gonna pull the head and work with it some. I think if I can get it to run, I'm gonna swap the engine from my Wizard 11hp Briggs in and put the 18hp in the Wizard. I did get the Kohler K-321 on my 140 to fire, but the carb is shot, completely, it was covered in 1/2" of baked on grime, and had trash (dust/dirt from 3 years of sitting with stale gas)in the bowl. Tomorrow I'm going to the nearest dealer and ordering a carb kit. Anyway, I made the decision without a brand bias, and I believe that I did the best I could for my situation at this time. I'll still be around on this site, but not as involved anymore as I once was, but I guess one day, I'll run across a good deal on a orange or red tractor thats close enough for me to get. I would like to thank everybody for helping me with my 4211 before I sold it.

dhardin
Dont feel to bad about your green tractor. I had a old model 70 JD many years ago. The 140 lettle brother, well i loved it. It was alway to small for my aplication but it was well built. Good luck maybe someday you'll be back to the orange and yellow ones again. I have a long time Deer man tell me "its the green paint that makes a J-Deer cost so much more"

Agricola
I agree with Don. I have a JD 140H3 from the 60's. It fires right up. My Dad bought it new. The only work we have done is to replace belts, blades and lubrication. Oh, one starter. It does a nice job of mowing. JD doesn't make them like that any more.

bigcountry
Well I went and bought 2 cans of carb cleaner, some PB blaster and a carb rebuild kit today for my 140. It took nearly both cans to clean that carb up well enough to rebuild. Then I put all the new parts in it and put it back on the tractor, and it fired right up, using the choke, with no help from starter fluid, keeping in mind it hasn't ran in 5 years or so. It smoked a little while it burned out the Marvel Mystery Oil I put in for upper cylinder lubrication, but after that, it didn't smoke any, and it doesn't knock at all. Only thing the neutral is out of adjustment, so it wants to "creep" forwards while on the brakes. I'm happy I spent that $300 on it. It was worth every penny to see her run again.

bigcountry
I looked up the serial number the other night and turns out it is a 1969 model. But anyway, I've seen several A/C's around since I bought it, it seems the deals always pop up after you've spent your money. I am still glad that I got it though, it don't smoke or knock at all. Just gotta adjust that neutral "creep" though.

BigSix
Your Deere sounds like a good tractor, for the money, especially with the hook up for manuals and attachments, from the Deere mechanic. I saw a 14 hp. Hydro Deere, with a 4-way hyd. angle plow, for $450., and I thought that sounded good, if I'd needed one. I'd also consider an old Economy or a Wheel Horse. You did what was right for you--you shouldn't feel the need to apologize, and you shouldn't apologize, IMHO. Like, uhm...politics, you are, still (I think?) entitled to your opinion. If everybodys' decisions made as much sense as yours did on this tractor, well, I do believe the world would be a better place. Good luck with that ugly (j/k) Green Monster!:D