Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
RayS

No Spark

RayS

I need help with this kohler coil if someone can help me I would appreciate it. Let`s start with I bought a B 110 for a hydraulic lift and this engine. This engine ran great just before I pulled it out and put it into this landlord 101. Know I have no spark. I hooked the positive side of the coil back to the key switch like it was in the B 110 and left the negative side of the coil hooked to the points as they were in the B 110. I thought that maybe the reason that I was not getting spark was because I had no juice running to the key switch. So I hooked a wire from the key switch to the postive side of the amp meter and fried that wire into. Wouldn`t you need to have current to the switch or could my key switch be bad. The picture shows how it is wired now. Please help. Also I have checked the current from the negative side of the battery to positive side of the amp meter with a volt meter and I have 12 volts and the engine turns over. The engine also turns over if the key switch is turned on or off when you push the start button on the dash. That`s why I was wondering if the Key switch may be bad. I know that there is some on here that has converted the briggs to a kohler coil. Thanks Ray

slb04786
RayS What was in the tractor for an engine begore. Briggs and Kohler required different wiring and keyswitches. Briggs uses a magneto that is independent of the +12 volt system and grounds (kills) the magneto to stop the spark through the keyswitch. The kohlers use a setup similiar to a car. The coil needs +12 volts from the keyswiitch to create the spark using points. If you fried a wire it could be you have a Briggs keyswitch that is grounding the +12 volts you are applying. Just my 2 cents worth

RayS
there was a Briggs in it before originally that had a broken connecting rod when I bought it. The briggs magneto is still in it> the guy that had it before me cut the plug wire and installed this coil because he didn`t want to pull the motor. And I thought since it ran great befor I put it into this older landlord that I would just leave this type of coil in it. The key switch that is in it now is the orignal to the landlord and briggs setup from the factory. What type of switch would I need to get it work. RayS

Dutch
Here's a link to the detailed "How To Do It" > http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/magneto_to_coil.htm Hint: Take the time to draw a detailed "before" (OEM) and "after" wiring schematic and keep it with your manuals. It will help you in the future.

HubbardRA
I put the same ignition on a B/S engine. You need to use an automotive type ignition switch with the Kohler coil. The B/S igintion shorts the coil to kill the engine. This will give you a dead short when the key is off. Either use an automotive switch, or get one from a tractor with a Kohler engine that will open the circuit when the ignition is off. If you try to hook the coil to the ACC terminal of the original switch, there is no power in start position, only in ON position. You will need a push button starter switch if you choose to try this with the existing switch.

RayS
well I changed the switch like told and everything is ok now. Thanks for the help. One last question will the tiny tach tachometer work with the kohler coil? It doesn`t seem as accurate thru the rpm ranges as it does on my other tractors with the orignal briggs magneto. Also in the article that Dutch let me to it says to hook the battery side of the switch directly to the battery. I hooked mine to the battery terminal on the voltage regulator and this seems to work fine or should I hook it to the battery. RayS

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by RayS
well I changed the switch like told and everything is ok now. Thanks for the help. One last question will the tiny tach tachometer work with the kohler coil? It doesn`t seem as accurate thru the rpm ranges as it does on my other tractors with the orignal briggs magneto. Also in the article that Dutch let me to it says to hook the battery side of the switch directly to the battery. I hooked mine to the battery terminal on the voltage regulator and this seems to work fine or should I hook it to the battery. RayS
That's fine..... Hooking to the battery terminal of the regulator is the same as hooking directly to the battery.