Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

skinny VS. wide...

goatfarmer

...tires,that is.:D My 2110 Landlord has the original Goodyears up front,size 4.50/4.00-8. I'm contemplating changing the front axle with one from a HB212 I just picked up. It has Goodyear 16X6.50-8 tires on it. I like the looks of the wider tires,but am I going to hurt manuverability,especially since this tractor basically is used for snowblowing? I'm thinking the original narrow tires would turn better on ice and snow. Any thoughts?

The narrow tires are better for turning but I have the wide fronts on my B-112 with 42" blower.I don't have the original tires on,I mounted snow hogs on the front and they kinda run on the knobs making it easy to turn.

Kenny I went the other way. My 3012V had the wider tires (from the factory I think)which were shot. I had a 2110 frame with two good 4.80x8 tires so off comes the wides and on go the skinnys. I prefer the narrow tires up front for looks but I think mowing may be the only place you see a big difference although I did notice the 3012V steers easier when using the plow and other "farm" equipment.

My experience is this. My Late Sovereign is a pig in the snow with chains only on it. My B-110 with only chains, can go any where I want, and retrieve the Sovereign if the need be. My B-112 has front wheel weights on it, and it might be alittle better then the Simp. I don't know if it's the narrow tires, or the short wheel base on the 110, but it is extremely nimble through deep snow. I'm thinking of putting narrow tires on one of the bigger tractors to see what happens. And that's the way the cookie crumbles. Rob

I have the same question, but my landlord 101 is going to be used for lawn work real soon. It has the narrow 4.5/8 now but i have a set of rims and 6.5/8 also. I like the look of the wider tire but i am conserned about the easy of turning the wider tire compaired to the smaller? Its my thoughts sence i plan to pull a "pull behind mower" to one side i may need the biger tire to hold the ground better.

Ken, have you tried yhose wide snow hogs with a blade? Put a set of old wide one on the Landlord but they are a trailer tread and totally useless on the driveway. Was kinda hoping they might climb the burm better when pushing. MPH

Iv'e only had the blower mounted on the B-112,these snow-hog tires are very aggresive.They have deep lugs spaced far apart with a little bit bigger lugs down the center.They have been working really well for me.I would have put some on my 712 with the loader,but you can only get them in 2-ply.

My reasoning is that the narrower the tire, the better they'll cut through snow for traction. They'll also give the highest pounds per square inch (PSI) of area in contact with the ground. The more agressive the tread, the less tread in contact, also yielding a higher PSI, in addition to shedding snow better, and not clogging up.... For blade work, where the angled blade tries to push the front of the tractor sideways, I'm running loaded ags (reversed) on the front of the Big Ten. They work pretty well, but I had to adjust the steering drag link up because the tread would occasionally catch on the drag link in a very hard left turn... These tires also work very well in loose dirt, either tilling or plowing -- but the real key there is the front counterweight (or any other method of weight). I'm running the standard-type Carlisle 4.00/4.80 X 8s on the front of the HB-216 with the 42" snowblower. They steer fine when the snowblower is raised, but are virtually worthless when the snowblower is down -- the snowblower has more "traction" than the tires do and it goes in a straight line.... I'm considering swapping these for 4.80 X 8 tri-ribs, which I also have on the 2012 with the loader, since I'm quite pleased with how those work. They grab and turn well, don't fill up with mud or snow, and they're easy to steer.... The only time I'd run the wide fronts now is when mowing... My 2 cents...

My 712H has the stock wider tires on the front.With a blade,turning seems to be the same as the 2110 with the skinnys.Maybe it's because the skinnys are worn down about 3/4 of the way,while the wider ones have more tread left. I know what you mean,Kent,about the blower having it's own mind.Sometimes I think I need 3 hands to lift the blower,and turn the wheel at the same time!8)

I have no experience with snow equipment, but from a steering perspective with a mower, the narrow works best for me. I even replace the fronts on the B-12 with a new tire and the increased tread still didnot make it turn as easy as the Big Ten does. I Think that I may have the differential two tight on the B-12. I am going to replace the tires on one of my tractors with a triple rib tire. I will be working ground down with one of my tractors and the triple rib will work better in the loose soil. My thoughts are that they will also work better in the snow because of the three distint edges to help it turn. JMO.

Id go with hte narrower tires... youll cut through the snow rather than riding on it...kinda how snowshoes let you walk on the snow and boots jsut go though... thats why the VW beetles and busses were good on snow...narow tires.... Ive seen your drive way...you dont have much to clear off!! :-) 73 jay

Hrm...how about a set of these: http://www.sandtiresunlimited.com/rb.html <note: those are sand tires for three and four wheelers, not tractors :-) >

I guess it's just personal preference, My tractors have both.. on my FDT's the B112 with the wide tires steer harder then the 2110 with out... and so far all mt RBT's have the wide tires..

Now Jay! I was always told length doesn't matter!;) I hope that includes driveways. On a serious note,how are things on the home front?

I usually like mine skinny but now and then a wide one is okay too![:0];):D Oh wait we're talking about tires here aren't we? I have tractors with wide tires and tractors with skinny's too. One thing I like about the wider ones is that they provide a little better floatation in soft soil ie; tilling, whereas the skinny's seem to sink in a lot. IMO a properly inflated wide tire shouldn't be much worse to turn than an overloaded skinny. I haven't done much snow work with the wides yet but on the 2110 with the 16x6.50-8's and front wheel weights I found that the weights would hit the uncleared snow with a 36" blower. Hmmmmm guess it's time for a 42" blower for the rbt now anyhow. ;):D8D I'd say that was my 2c worth for now!

I dont have an exact comparison but maybe this will help. I've built 2 plow tractors this year. B 12 for me and B 110 for my brother. Both set up with posi rears. B 12 has wide fronts B 110 has narrow. 12 has ags and wheel weights. 110 has turfs with chains. Either combination seems to push about the same amount of snow. Though sometimes the ags have trouble backing up if its slippery. The 110 on hardpack snow turns normally while the 12 will not. In 3 or 4 inches of snow the b 12 will not turn at all without backing up. the 110 turns fine. Last year I plowed with turfs, weight and chains but no posi. Plowed decent and steered decent with wide front tires but I spent a lot of time sliding my tush from fender to fender. In either case the wide fronts slide out more when pushing a big pile with the low angled. The skinny does seem to dig in better. Depends really on how much you want to push. The ultimate would be narrow front tires, with ags, chains and weights on a posi rear end. But bear in mind the more traction you can get the greater the possibility of breaking something. Just my 2 cents. take it for what its worth.

Ken Lenght does matter when it comes to driveways..i think... Father in-law coming home today and starts chemo/radiation today also...thansk for asking... jay