Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Best snow removal setup?

bkassulke

For all those people who own one or more tractors. What is your favorite tractor to move snow with. How much weight is adequate to keep the tractor from slipping? Are chains necessary? If you have pictures of them that would be great.

I have'nt done anything that I didn't prefer my hydro trans. Especialy with snow. I just wish I had some snow to blow.

We have four different tractors, a 310 416H, 712H and 917H. I prefer to use the 917 with the blower, because it has the weight and power. Its also hydrostatic which I prefer over gears any day. We have 50lbs on each tire with chains. We only use the chains because we're using turf tires. I dont have pictures of the tractor with blower, but I will some time, Hope this helsp.

I have an 816GT with a cab, and a B-10Late with a 3 belt blower. They both work pretty good, But when you get into the deep stuff with the B-10 it doesn't have near the power of the 816GT. I own a 1920 Ultima, I would like to get a blower and cab for it. I would have a hydro, diffrential lock, Electric sprout rotater, 20 horse engine, power steering, hydraulic lift, and you can get wheel weights to top it off. It is a heavy tractor, so that always helps. Of mine I like the 816GT. Probably because of the cab and the 16 horse engine.

Own 4 tractors and one mounted snowblower for the Broadmoor. Also have a 824 Simp walk behind and a Jacobsen Sno Burst. For the last three years the Sno Burst has taken on the lions share. Not much snow and it has been light. By the time I get everything pointed in right direction to get it out of the garage, the Sno Burst has done its job.

I've been using a B-112 with a variable tranny and a 42 inch single-belt blower (and will be again once the blower is re-bearinged :D). At the moment the "B" has a heavy duty blade on the front though. It works pretty good, 50 lbs of weight on each rear wheel, turf tires, and chains. The variable is real nice for dealing with snow...speed adjustments tailored to load on the blower...plus, I don't have a hydro to mess with. For my money, if you live somewhere with the potential for a lot of snow (as in anything over four or five feet accumulation) a good blower makes life worth living.

For serious snow removal 7790 18½hp diesel, hydrostatic tranny, 42" blower, hydro lift, electric spout rotator, wheel weights,Ag tires loaded , 2 link Vbar chains, cab, glass windsield, electric windshield wiper, defroster, cab lights.

For playing in the snow Hb-116 16hp Briggs, hydrostatic tranny, hydro lift, 46"hd plow Ag tires, wheel weights, Xtra HD 2 link Vbar chains.

Maynard, Just to be on the safe side, you'd better haul that diesel out here so I can keep an eye on her :D. That's one nice set-up for winter! On a more serious note, do you use a diesel additive during the winter or just mix a little #1 with the #2 (that's what we've always done). In fact, in the diesel pick-up I've always ran mixed fuel in the front tank and straight #1 in the rear. Start things up on the #1 tank (much easier starting, no gel problems, but less lube/less power), let her run for a minute, then flip over to the front tank and go. Of course, it gets plugged in inside or outside.

Stumpy All this tractor has ever done is blow snow. The cab and blower has never been off of it. Here the fuel is premixed at the pump with Kerosene. Every now and then I will put a few ounces of ATF in the tank. The heat lamp on the wall is used to start it when it gets below 30°

so far I think Maynard gets the "prize" i have the same set up as stumpy, 1 blower on the new tractor and the blade on my 3112. I am looking for a cab (almost had one) but i am sure as "murphy" would have it that will come my way in the springLOL ohh well there is always next winter. Maynard how does that defroster work? is it electric? and does it throw enough heat to warm the inside? take care john

I have 2 tractors B-112 with a Blower and my 7016 with the Cab and blade.... I use the blower only when I rarely use the Blower and just started using the 7016H with the blade.... I know you wanted tractors But what I use the most is my Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O with a blade a lot faster and pushes more then mt tractor and I don't have to use chains

I have a B10 with both a dozer blade and a blower, a small simplicity walk behind blower, but nothing can touch my 3/4 Chevy with the Boss Power V plow. Shoveling and blowing are work, but plowing is fun!

I have a 75 Broadmoor with a blower "havnt had enought snow to try it" My 64 Landlord is my baby. It sure can push alot of snow. Its nice with the cab on it. I have 6 gallons of washer fluid in each tire. totla weight is about 80lbs per wheel. I also have about 25-30lbs in the weight box I made. As soon as I make a right hand lift arm I will fill the box with more weight. Right now that all I can get in it due to it being heavier than the plow. My broadmoor has concrete wheel weights that I made and a weight box. Dont know what the total wheight is but it should be good enough. Here are a few pictures of them. Elon [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/pair1.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/snow.jpg[/img] oh btw they both have chins on them.

I have been using my 61 Wards (Simp 700)with a Wheel horse blade(modified to fit). It has 23x10.5x12 AG tires that are cut for tractor pulling. I use about 200 lb of hang on weights when pushing snow, with no chains because these tires don't need them. I am currently mounting a Sears blower on to my AC 716H (w/10 Hp engine now). This one will have turf tires and chains with hang on weights. The thing I like about hang on weights is that I can put on only what I need and remove them when not needed. Easy for me and saves the tractor and lawn from constant heavy weight. We really don't have a large amount of snow here in this part of VA, so I cannot be considered an expert in snow removal. I have moved snow, dirt, and gravel with my blade, and it does great. Amazing what these little machines can do.

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
I have'nt done anything that I didn't prefer my hydro trans. Especialy with snow. I just wish I had some snow to blow.
Ditto, what Dave said!!! [:0]:p:D:D

Mark, we're supposed to get a little snow here friday. It should be cold enough to stick but Probablt not enough to put the blower own. Ive got to go out of town till friday night, so maybe if I wait to put it on it'll give us 6" or a foot. LOL.

I have four tractors ready for snow. 1967 Allis Chalmers B-12,1973 Simplicity 3416H,1981 Allis Chalmers 919H,1987 Deutz-Allis 916H. I used these two last winter....1Allis Chalmers B-12 with 42" snowblower & hydro lift,chains and weights. 2Simplicity 3416H with 46"snowblade and hydro lift,with chains. Most of the time I use the Simplicity 3416H with snowblade. This picture is from Winter 2003. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/karl_brandt/3416H.jpg[/img]

John It is an aftermarket electric rear window defroster with a heating element and blower. The the 7790 Kept 2 business parking lots an appt parking lot and several home driveways clean for over 15 years. Granted A 4x4 pickup with a Fisher 8' 4 way plow could do it faster but could not do these yards. (no where to put the snow useing a truck)I never had to pay to have snow hauled away using the Diesel and blower.

My 6116 worked just fine during the 14 inches we got here in NJ back in early December. Single belt 36 in. blower, weights and chains, and now an NOS cab, mmmmmmmmm Now all we need is some snow here. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/lsenus/DSC01299.JPG[/img]

I just don't understand why Simplicity went through all the trouble of designing removable attachments. Based on what you guys have in the stable, they should have made a tractor for mowing, another for blowing, and yet another for pushing. Then we would need one for tilling, another for grading and so on. But I'm sure you're all set with those also. :):):)

Here's what I'm currently using...

I'm sure your all quite jealous, what with it's super maneuverability, 12" cutting swath, manual lift, etc., etc. Seriously though, I just arranged to purchase a 36" blower from a fellow member for my Allis 611LT, so I hope to be using that soon! FYI - that's a stock picture I found - not the real me, nor my real shovel!

This is what I use and I think its the best way to go. What I want to do next is to find a way to mount some weight in the rear, just for some more traction.

Here is my 20hp Sunstar with the homemade cab, complete with sliding rear window, 2 speed wiper, tempered glass all around, left & right exiting doors, & gas tank access door, weighing in at about 200lbs, plus an addition 250lbs on the rear weight bar. Tire chains round out this unit along with the 46" 2 stage blower, gives me lots of fun in the snow. I plan on having my Sunstar #2 with a 25hp Kohler Command engine restored and ready for some snow fun next year. i could always throw my 42" blade on one of my 700 or 900 series tractors, but that almost sounds like it would be work to move snow(only 1 has hyd. lift, & no cabs). I could always use my Backhoe but it's the yellow brand (the "I" word)and just not an acceptable way for an A.C. man to remove snow!

NOTHING beats the comfort of a cab! With that in mind here is my favorite snow remover aka "Big Daddy". D/A 1920 Ultima ,42" single stage blower,20hp twin kohler w/hydro and power steering,2 speed axle w/differential lock, Ags w/50lbs of weights each never had a traction problem

it has a hydraulic plow on it right now because I use my "Big Dog" affectionately named by fellow club members as "The Green Monster" for the BIG jobs, D/A 5215HST hydro w/power steering,Schulte 3pt hitch 540 rear pto driven dual stage blower,50"cut width,26" cut height, 4WD with turfs all around 18hp 3cyl liquid cooled Toyosha diesel, also never a traction problem. When I get a cab for it, Big Dog will become my favorite snow remover

quote:
Originally posted by lbeckm3
Here's what I'm currently using... [img]/club2/attach/lbeckm3/shovel.jpg[/img] I'm sure your all quite jealous, what with it's super maneuverability, 12" cutting swath, manual lift, etc., etc. Seriously though, I just arranged to purchase a 36" blower from a fellow member for my Allis 611LT, so I hope to be using that soon! FYI - that's a stock picture I found - not the real me, nor my real shovel!
If you had the Female model snow remover I might be jealous then.:D..I have heard they cost way more than a John Deere }:):D;)