Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ok its not a simplicity, but.....

badcars

helping a guy clean out his barn today, tons of old equiptment. he had most of it sold so we just basically got it out so the new owners could come and get it. in the very back of the barn was this neat little tractor. i had "economy tractor" wrote on it. looked to be a single cylinder briggs. also has hydraulics. man that thing looks really stout built. but at the same timne it would easily fit in the back of my truck. now the bad side, it appears to have been on fire, so no wiring, no big deal. some of the hoses have burned too, but they can be easily replaced. he told me to come back tomorrow and make him an offer. i didnt want to insult him with one, he kind of got centimental about how his father, who passed on, used to ride him on it. i was thinking about 100 tops, anyone have any other thoughts, or know anything about these tractors? thanks, badcars

The Economy tractors are a good tractor they don't mow as well as a simplicity but are good for a lot of hard work.A freind has one of the early tractors with chain steering along with a few of the later models.They were used hard and still going.$100 sounds good if it is burnt.Will take a bit to get it in shape.Bob

I agree with what Bob said about them being rugged. My brother has had a couple of them and beat them pretty bad! They come up on E-bay quite often, search on either Economy or Power King. Also [url]www.powerking.info[/url]for parts and more info. Clyde

My Grandfather bought one new in 64, I've had it for 20+ years and it's worn 2 decks and 5 engines out. These are tough fun little tractors. Don't use it much anymore now that I have a FDT. But you can't beat it for pulling the kids around in the snow on sleds.

Ive seen these sell for around a grand latley in decent running condition, Look more lke a full farm tractor. But Dave 5-engines!!!! My Landlord 68-69 is still on it's originall is smoking a little, Used a couple times week. Tom

dont kno wnow, h estarted talking about its history and got al little misty on me now. ill not push it , i twill always be in that barn. when the time comes ill try then. kind of rough , talking about his daddy driving it and riding him on it. it was a really nice story if i should say so badcars

If you do think that you might want to get it, try to get a serial number from it , so it can be dated. Make a few phone calls on some of the parts that you think may need to be replaced, for price and availability. I recently looked at one that seemed like a good deal at the time , but certain parts on the older models are quite costly, (new). It needed a steering gearbox, clutch and misc. small parts, and when i found out the price of them I decided not to buy it. They are good , strong little tractors though. Dave

A friend of mine's family moved into an old home in the '70s and there was an Economy tractor in the garage used to cut the large yard. It was an 11 hp, 48" deck, '60s model (tube-enclosed drive shaft running from the clutch to the differential, not the square box-tube frame). I used it a few times and it was fun to play with. Anyway, the hired yard man didn't check the motor oil and burnt up the engine. The parents not knowing what they had, told the repair shop to keep the tractor (didn't want to pay $500 for a new motor) and they bought an $800 riding mower from MWards. It just made me sick. It was because of the memory of that tractor that I started looking for one when I bought my house (didn't like the look and feel of the ?quality? of the Sears and MTD mowers). And how I eventually found this website. In the back of my mind, I'm still looking for that tractor, but just a little closer to Denver. :-) /r David Denver