Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Boney

Hydro vs. Manual

Boney
Other than using your arm muscles to pull back on the lever to raise the impliment manually what are the differences between the manual lift and the hydro lift? I have never had a hydro lift and am trying to learn why people like them. Thanx for any help.

Dutch
Using your muscles is really the only difference. The hydro (or even electric) lift is a pleasure to use. But of course there are more mechanical things that can cause problems. Wheneven I can, I'll use a power lift. But for work that requires precise and instantanious implement control and "feel", I prefer a manual lift.

Kent
The short answer is "downpressure"... with the hydraulic lift on the oldies, you can pick either the front or rear of the tractor up off the ground by pushing down on the implement you have attached. While it's hard to tell from this pic, the front wheels of the tractor were actually 4" - 6" off the ground, and the tractor would lift itself up onto the bucket when idling, just using your fingertips. This downpressure is great for using front or rear blades, or to push a tiller into the ground, for example. I often hold the brake, push the tiller deep into the ground with the lift, then put the lift in float position and drive off real slow... It digs much deeper that way in one pass. You have to be careful of "runaways" though, before you can get it to the float position. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/bucket/on_bucket2.jpg[/img]

D-17_Dave
Kent, my HB212 and a few other 212's I've seen have a split rod to the rear hitch so you can't put down pressure on the rear and loose traction. Is this common or something like a mid year later thing?

Kent
Unless I'm mistaken those lift rods were used only for a couple of years, before they went to cable lifts. I actually bent the 1/2" solid rear lift rod on mine (I made it out of cheap, cold rolled stock from the local hardware store), tilling in my rock garden, but I had John Scheele make me a 9/16" one out of harder stock -- it'll flex a little bit, but it hasn't bent. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/var_hydro/full_tunnel_top.jpg[/img] The hydraulic lift will bend this cheap 1/2" rod stock though -- I bent one I'd made on the front, riding the HD dozer blade to scrape ice. Then, I later came up with another factory rod and it hasn't permanently bent....