Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Grader Blade Hitch

Dutch
For those who are new to this club, a year or two ago there was an interest in the mid mount grader blades by club members. Used Allis/Simplicity grader blades were bringing $200+ on eBay, and the demand was greater than the supply. I found a heavy equipment blade manufacturer that would make blades identical to the original. I decided to modify the original design by having the blades made with one straight edge and one serrated edge (teeth). One of the questions that are repeatedly asked is how can the blade be attached to the tractor. The answer is, a hitch is needed. I spent the “big bucks” and purchased an OEM blade and hitch, measured all the dimensions, and drew a set of detailed plans. I include those plans with every blade. The hitch is quite simple. Some club members have the ability to make their own hitch. Others do not. For those who cannot make a hitch themselves, most welding shops can fabricate one. From what I have been told, the cost to have a hitch fabricated by a shop costs between $50 and $100 on average. If you want to save time and money, I also discovered that the mid mount grader blade hitch is virtually identical to the front mount snow/dozer blade hitch used on the FDT (non running board) tractors. Those old hitches are usually readily available for less than $50. If the lift arms are cut off one of those old front mounted blade hitches, you will have the main part of the mid mount hitch. All that is then needed is the bracket to connect the hitch to the blade. For those who already have a front mounted blade, the same single hitch can be used for both a front mounted blade and a mid mounted blade. The original hitch will NOT be destroyed. All that has to be done is to add a small section of square tubing to accept a new lift arm. See the photo sequence below. If you don’t know anything about these serrated grader blades, you can search the archives for “SERRATED”, or here’s a link to the blade I currently have listed on eBay > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50377&item=2371061610 If anyone has any questions, please ask. [img] http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/hitch-mod-seq.jpg[/img]

surviver2003
Dutch, This may be obvious to most, but as a relative newbee and rapidly becoming an addict (have 4 that all need fixing/tinkering and wife will shoot me if I buy another), I would ask: 1.) Show a picture of hitch attached to the grader blade without the tractor - how does hitch attach to blade and how do you flip it around? 2.) Maybe a picture or two showing how to attach the blade to the tractor - especially the underside. How is it raised and lowered without being all wobbly? I know I should have done a search first, but I'm at work and have very little time and would forget later. Would be nice to have all the info., diagrams, and pictures in one place. Bob

Dutch
Bob, 1) There's a great picture of just the blade and hitch on the ebay page I linked. In fact, the picture is linked right back to this site. 2) The mid mount blade hitch hooks up exactly where the mower deck mounts and uses the same lift. Just look at the way your mower deck is attached and you will understand how the grader blade attaches.

MadMike
Surviver2003, FYI - I bought one of the blades from Dutch and a replicated hitch from another member (I don't know if he still offers them for sale) and I can tell you it works great. Yes, the blade does wobble a little when it's mounted but that doesn't seem to matter. I have roughly 500' of gravel driveway and in a matter of a few hours I reshaped the entire length, putting a single crown back down the center of the drive where it belongs. I can also tell you that the serrated teeth on the blade work great for tearing up the grass and weeds that constantly try to take over my drive. (Round-up gets expensive with this much drive) As a matter of fact, I would take Dutch's replacement blade over the original any day as I rarely seem to use the non-serrated side. Good Luck and thanks again to members like Dutch who make offers like these to this club. MadMike