Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Salter attachment for tractor

Ronald Hribar

Has anyone made up a weight box for the rear of the tractor that would also dispense salt or fertilizer? I think you could use the weight while blowing or plowing,and then spread the salt when done. I have seen the designs that spread the salt like the back of the salt trucks, however because I go on sidewalks would like to limit salt to that width only. Therefore it should be of the drop design. I would like to power it with a starter motor, although i have thought about driving it off the back wheels of tractor, tire of tractor contacting tire of spreader. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this or is there a ready made product available?

I have just hooked up my spreader. I like to get multi use out of things. Spread fertilizer and grass seed in the spring, ice melter / salt in the winter.

I don't know of any factory made, but if I was going to make a shaker I would try to just hook a bar or a spring loaded chain to a rear wheel, like you stated. See sketch below. However, you might need a paddle to stir the salt. Brinly's drop spreader has such a paddle that is chain powered by tines. I think I would explore converting a tiller and use the tractor's rear PTO or an electric motor to power the paddle. Sounds like an interesting project. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/shaker.jpg[/img]

it may be under complicated, but i just use my spreader attatchment! like said above, didnt really know how much i would use it till i got if for a birthday a few years back, thanks wifey! badcars

Why not take a wheeled walk behind spreader like lawn care use with a gear powered throwing wheel that is driven of the spreader ground wheel. Make a bracket to put in the sleave hitch. That would work on most rbt tractors when you lift the blade or blower you would also lift the spreader. On the fdt tractors like the b110 you would lift the blade or blower and put the spreader down. In ether case it could be easy to make and helpful to do.

I like the idea of taking an existing spreader and mounting it on the tractor. was looking for one that could carry 200 pounds. Do you think that is too much weight? I'm 250 on my 3114H .no weights or fluid on tractor.Also debated if I wanted to use drive wheels on spreader or an electric drive of some type. That keeps bringing me back to the broadcast type as they make exactly what i want. Just that I worry about getting salt on lawn when I plow sidewalks.

I would think that a spreader/ weight box would work well. If you used the broadcast type, you should be able to mount a section of sheetmetal to each side that would limit the width of the spread. If you made a drop spreader, I think I would use a gear drive motor like a power window motot which would either operate a shaker or a chain drag like in a manure spreader floor. The power window motor would have pretty good torque and draw a lot less amps than the starter motor.

If you would use a good profestional type ice melt it won't damage walks or lawns. But gaurds will help too.

I like the idea of using guards with the broadcast type, then it would make it easier to fertilize lawn with same unit in the summer. Any way i have lots of ideas now. What is meant by a good professional type of ice melter. I know fertilizer works, but even excess of that kills grass

I used to have a carryall box mounted on the back with 5 gal buckets of salt and sand, with a coffee can in each with holes in it. How about mounting a fertilizer spreader in the back and keep it wide open?

:DI set one up for a friend a while back. It was an electric tailgate kind. He was worried about the salt getting on his new pickup. I cut up an old boat trailer and mounted the spreader on it. Spreader ended up about 4' behind his truck and worked like a charm. The metal guides sound like a good idea too.

I have an AgriFab tow behind broadcast spreader that you can pin both wheels to the drive axle so you can spread salt/sand in the winter. It was the highest capacity I could find, but will max out at 175#.

Using a fertilizer spreader with a rubber tire and larger hopper might work if the thing would hook up to the tractor right. ?

MOTORIZED GRASS SEED, & SALT SPREADER. Will spread small 3/8" salt,works best with salt crystals, dry sand, fertilizer or grass seed. Mounted to your lawn tractor,truck or atv, or made to fit just about any vehicle. It's powered by a 12-volt dayton motor,with a on and off switch mounted on your tractor dash.It can spread salt, fertilizer & grass seed UP TO 8 feet.The Aluminum hopper holds 50# of salt. The agitator is constructed of stainless steel.Therefore, very durable and will never rust. IT has a manual flow adjuster rate from 0,1,2,3,-The # 3 is open all the way. [img]http://i18.ebayimg.com/03/i/00/92/55/fa_1_s.JPG[/img] [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2370152492&category=50377[/url]

Roadrunner is one of the brands of ice melt they use at the branch where I work in sales. I forget what's in it, but it won't damage walks or lawns. Our price for comercal customer was 50# $10

I'd think that one of these LFGT's could handle the larger spreader with a 100# capacity. Fifty pounds seems kind of low to me....

What I am thinking of is a large capacity as i could safely carry on rear of tractor. Then when i am pushing or blowing snow, i will have maximum traction. After I done and spreading salt I can afford to lose some of my ballast. I am leaning in two directions, Purchase a large electric powered broadcast spreader, make a receiver hitch for rear lift and go. Or I have an aerator that is powered by the rear Pto and mounts on the rear lift. I would have to make a box to hold the salt, Really do not know if i want to destroy aerator, although i probably will never use it. While writing this, i happened to think,I asked on another forum how to lock 3314's rear wheels, have to go check. And thank you for all of the replies and suggestions. The way it looks here in Wisconsin that the dustings that we have had this season will be the only snow we will get, my shovel will get more work than plow and a front brush would work the best. Have to ask my brother in law if he still has one off from his Bolens.