Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Manual Lift helper spring idea

Brent_Baumer

Hi all. For some reason I had this idea the other night. Haven't tried it yet, was wondering if anyone else had. All the 3400/7000/7100 series tractors and similar AC's that I have seen had the same lift shaft on them. All with the "arms" for hydraulic or electric lift even if the tractor was a manual lift. Has anyone tried installing a heavy "helper" spring under the tractor attached to one of these arms? Say, in the same position as an electric lift cylinder. I'm thinking it would work fine, and would help when it comes to lifting heavy attachments like tillers and snowthrowers. Am I missing something? Brent

Wouldn't you have to "reverse" spring depending if you were using front or rear attachment? If I am not mistaken moving lever forward lowers front attachment while raising rear and moving lever back to operator moves front attachment up and rear down. That is why the counter weight either in front or back assists with lift and traction at same time. I'm not 100% postive on this. I've only had my Simplicity for 5 months and been on it a dozen times and certainly no expert

Ronald, What you say holds true for the earlier tractors, 3300 series and older. These machines came from the factory with a counter balanced front/rear lifts and used a lift rod. Starting with the 3400 series they went to the cable lift which moved both front and rear simultaneouisly in the same direction. You can reroute the cable of the 3400 and newer tractors so that the front and rear lifts are also counter balanced. The "How To" is part of the set up for the HD tiller..... Do a search and you'll find several discussions on it. This raises an interesting question though. On the cable lift tractors, does the mower lift arm still move opposite to the front lift? In a case like that you would also have to reroute the cable to use the mid-mount cultivator set with the rear set....

Well I asked about switching the cable around on my 3410S and it doesn't seem to have the same Shaft as my 7016H unless I looked at it wrong...? If someone looks this up it might be a good topic for the Tech Forum...:)

quote:
Originally posted by Bunky
Well I asked about switching the cable around on my 3410S and it doesn't seem to have the same Shaft as my 7016H unless I looked at it wrong...? If someone looks this up it might be a good topic for the Tech Forum...:)
There are at least two different lift cross shafts used on the RBTs. It may be that tractors made after the 38" tiller was made available are the ones that have the redesigned shaft.

Brent, I haven't tried mounting a spring assist under the tractor, but they work good mounted externally. So does a pneumatic cylinder. The only "problem" is that a simple spring or pneumatic cylinder mount provides static force. Depending on the implement or load, a variable force would be better.

just my experience, i tried springs worked good but the ends will break off if you get to rough. if you use a spring i reccomend the black ones, better steel, used to if my blade smagged something and raised the front of the tractor a couple of inches the spring would snap. well it finally got me and yes it did hurt. i did away with it but now i have found these black higher quality springs so maybe ill give i tanother go around! badcars

I have a 7112H that I hav had for 10 + years. The manual lift lever raise the front attachment or the mower deck or the rear attachment when I pull the lever back to me. I would love to fine a cyl to do this .I use this tractor year round and I would like a hydro lift.Would save alot of back pains.

Rodger I recall that the Sundstrum can be modified an a hydro lift added. I believe UCD knows something about it. I have it in the back of my mind to do to my 7112H. I do have my first simplicity an early 7117H which blew the KT17 long before me and an had an 18hp briggs twin in before I got it. It has hydro lift.

Looks like a kit is(was?) available for this.

The smaller print says - Mounts inside tractor frame Can be installed in 5 minutes All parts & mounting Instructions Included in 103272 kit.

Darn, everytime I think I have a new idea or invention someone else has already thought of it..... Where'd you find that ad, Mack?

According to this data table that kit is for the 7000 series, dating it to about 1975 at the earliest. I don't know if the lift shafts are different and it's too cold out to go check....... lol http://www.simpletractors.com/what_fits/kit_pg_3.htm