Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

question on tractor useage?

87gmc4x4

Has anyone here used there Simplicity or AC for tractor pulling or racing?, I was wonder on how nimble a Simplicity 727 would be for racing?

Rod Hubbard used to do some pulling,along with a few others who's names escape me right now.. I'm sure he's got a few pointers!

I have saw one where in the clutch system, they had put a heavy spring and a good belt. They were a little down on power but still won because of the low pulling gear. Not so sure about those.?

Small tractor pulling is big around here, I hope to set up my Lanlord to pull this summer. Tractor raceing just started 2 yeras ago as a community fund rasier and from what I saw the Simplicity/ACs would be to heavy, to high center of gravity and tip to easy. They where mostly Murrys and MTDs and old Sears frams with 10 and 12 hp vertical shaft, no governers, with a low center and hey still rolled over very easy. Most of then did not have a bracking system to do the job i thought. I guess I'm getin to old to go 20 to 30 MPR on a lawn mower. But it was fun to watch.

The tractors with the BGB setup are good for tractor pulling. My 61 Wards was used for pulling for about 15 years. Very reliable and many trophies worn. If you are going to race a tractor, you want one of the little vertical shaft tractors that is built very light so that it will go fast and turn easily. Secrets to pulling or racing are more related to how you set it up than the actual type of tractor. Some types are not good regardless. Most times, the winners have a setup that is different from the losers. I know, because I have been a loser many times and have also been a Champion. I can say factually that you must be working on the machine constantly to stay ahead of the competition, if you are going to go to, and stay on top. Both sports are lots of fun. It takes a lot of time and dedication to get to and stay near the winners circle, though. Good thing is that you can still have lots of fun and meet some very good friends, even if you are not coming in first. The climb to the top is a lot more fun that getting booted off after you get there. Have fun regardless which sport you choose. If I can be of any help, let me know. I am familiar with setup techniques for both racing and pulling. First thing you need is a complete copy of the rules. The machine must be put together around the rules.

while right now im racing my 78 Craftsman with a 16hp briggs opposed twin. Im thinking of getting a Old Landlord or even A old AC to go tractor pulling with. Im just wondering which one of the bunch of simplicity's and AC's would work best?

There's a kid around here who has got some stuff from me. He does the tractor racing and let me tell you, at 20-30 mph you'll be left behind in no time. Butch says he can get up to around 60 mph on his.........

As far as which Sim or AC would be good for pulling depends on the weight classes and the rules of the clubs you will pull with. My son and I pull a AC 718 and a AC 917. Most of the pulls in our area start at 800# or more. The smaller tractors will not cut it at that weight class. If you have a 650# or 700# class they may be OK.