Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
johny

DAMAGED BEARINGS

johny
i'm hoping someone can help me with my dilemma - i inadvertently ran my simplicity 4211 11hp briggs and stratton engine with very little oil which left me with damaged mains bearings - my questions are 1/ are the bearings replaceable? (do they press in and out??) 2/ are the bearings available oversize (+10 +20 thousandth) 3/ how should i deal with the shaft (grind it down or build it up somehow) i'm going to try to include a couple of pics of the crank and bearing so if it doesn't work i'll try again next time THANKS in advance for any and all help regards john

TomMaryland
Isn't the aluminum housing the bearing seat itself? If so, I think a new crankcase is in order. The crank looks like a few thousanths are gone and scored, so IMHO, Id get new ( or used of you can find them) both.

PatRarick
John, 1.) On some models of this engine, the bearing is part of the casting. They can be reamed out and a DU bearing (bushing) installed. That is often not worth the cost, as it is close to the price of a new cover. Some have pressed in bearings, and they are replaceable for a reasonable cost. Yours appears NOT to have a replaceable bearing. 2.)Actually, it's called UNDERSIZE, and no, undersize bearings are NOT available. 3.)Since undersize bearings are not available, it would serve no point to turn the crankshaft down. It IS possible to build it up and turn it down to original, but again, it's usually not worth the cost compared to the price of a new crankshaft. All in all, your best bet would be a new engine, a new short block, or a good used engine. Pat

mowerman1193
The motor on my Broadmoor that I am restoring was like that when I got it..I took it all apart to rebuild it but the cost to do the machine work and parts was more than a short block...I ended up getting a NOS short block from Ebay for just over $100..I feel I stoled the motor as the cheapest I found for mine was about $350 and this one is still all boxed up...I see some good deals there from time to time if you have time to wait for one to come around...

HubbardRA
Johny, Too bad you live so far away. I assume your engine is vertical shaft. Got two 11Hp and one 12 Hp B/S engines in my backyard. If you could come over and take them off the machines, I would give them to you. Don't know anything about one of them. One has been overheated because someone put the wrong shroud on it, and I was told the 12 Hp was shot, whatever that means. I haven't taken any of them apart, because all of my current machines use horizontal shaft engines. If you need any of these parts, it will probably be several weeks before I would have time to take the engines apart and check them. I could pack all three engines up and ship them all to you, if you wanted to pay the shipping and a small amount for handling. Let me know it you are interested.

johny
THANKS all for the suggestions and information it's most dissapointing that the bearing is a part of the casting Rod ur offer is most generous which is not surprising after reading the responses and postings from the rest of the members here it is a pity i'm so far away or i would have taken u up on the offer but after investigating postage rates on an ignition coil from the USA i think it would b cheaper to buy a new tractor i have yet to speak to a Briggs mechanic here but someone has offered to drill out the bearing and resleeve it and i'm told the crank can b built up and reground?? so i'm still evaluating my options will let u all know when i have some concrete answers in the mean time a BIG THANK YOU to all and rest assured i will b checking the oil more frequently in the future

johny
does anyone have the specifications on the bearings for the later model engine please i've been told that the later model engines have pressed in main bearings so if i can get hold of the bearings i could have the castings drilled out to suit and have the crank journals built up somehow and then ground down to the orininal size is this feasible ??? does this make sense ???

mowerman1193
Well I am not no mechanic on these little motors but when I was checking around to have the machine work done on my 8hp Briggs this is what the shop told me they would do....Bore it out then install a new style bearing in it...but...the cost was as much as a short block for me because my cylinder was worn and needed to be bored over size as well...It might be worth checking into for you if the rest of the motor is ok...

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by johny
does anyone have the specifications on the bearings for the later model engine please i've been told that the later model engines have pressed in main bearings so if i can get hold of the bearings i could have the castings drilled out to suit and have the crank journals built up somehow and then ground down to the orininal size is this feasible ??? does this make sense ???
In my 1992 manual , tools were available. I think you might be money ahead to talk to Mr Hubbard. Judging from the tools needed, he looks to be the better bet. The problem is however, you have peaked on you summer days and I don't know how long it would be to get parts there.