Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Opinions ....

wantedinct

I was just wondering if the yeomans 7hp motor would have enough power to run a 42" deck from the landlord,I think the 42"deck is perfect for my size yard, this way i could just keep the johnny bucket on the landlord.

The fabrication would be done to the tractor itself, not the deck

I am running a 48 inch deck with a 10 Hp. Does great as long as you mow the grass at a reasonable length. There is a noticeable difference in horsepower needed for 48 versus 42. If I were you I'd try it.

Don't think you will have enough power...Also don't think you are going to be able to turn very sharp by the looks in the picture...I know my tires rub when turning sharp on the Broadmoor with 36" deck..The Yeomans only had a 28" or 32" decks for them..I know you could retro fit the deck but I think you will not be able to turn to good...

Well really to get technical about it 7hp is probably plenty.. if you have the torque is the real question...These little vertical shaft aluminum motors seem week compaired to the cast iron horizonal motors...even though they are rated the same hp the torque seems alot less on the little v saft motors..

I know for a fact that the 700 and 725 tractors will handle a 42" deck, and they're 7 and 7 1/4 hp respectively. I wouldn't think you'd be under powered as long as you mow it when it's a reasonable length and you go slow enough. I wouldn't try it in top gear though........

Well I have to agree with above that it might be enough power as long as you keep the grass cut to short... If you let it grow long it might not be enough and it may reduce the life of the engine... As far as the 700 and 725 I'm not sure but between the BGB and the pulley set up it maybe geared different to run the 42 JMO

My B-1, 7.25 hp with 42" deck, works fine as long as the grass isn't too tall. Tall grass goes to 1st gear and work the guts out of the engine. On a hot summer day going up hill there is no governor. The engine is flat out at max speed with no reserve. Amazingly, it stood this for 20+ years until I got my new Sovereign. Bottom line, the old CI horizontal Briggs does it but is marginal. A B-1 with more power would be great. My experience,

i think mowerman has a point,i dont think the little aluminum 7 hp engines have the same torque as the old cast iron big blocks do and torque is the key. Bunky may have point about gearing but if thats the case you might be able to change pully sizes for better gearing.