Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lake effect snow with a vengence

rokon2813

This for you guys who don't know is lake effect. 10 miles away the sun is shining. Looking up the driveway from the door

Looking down the street

Across the yard

Notice the hood with snow on only half?

I've only been off about 3 minutes, long enough to go get the camera. Thats how fast its coming down, the hood is still warm.

The section I plowed first about an hour ago is where I parked the truck and van. Its ready to be plowed again. About 3 inches of fresh. Weather forecast says expect at least 7 to 9 inches of fresh between now and the end of the storm. Later on or tomorrow morning when I plow again I'll see if I can get someone out to take some action pics for the guys who want to see what an old B 12 will do with ag tires and wheel weights.

I have always wanted to see it snow in that area, alwsome Thanks for the pics! I always thought anyone in that area would have much bigger tractors. So that B10 really is sufficient? It gets the job done? ...........and no chains on the tires? How many lbs are the wheel weights? oh!oh! The question limit alarm went off.

These tractors are sufficient, you we need to keep after it to keep it clear though. I live down east of Dan, so I usually get the same stuff. Not always though. Last night Erie and Ontario were giving it to us. At Hancock Intl. (where I work) was a mess. The ramps and runways were better than the roads, I can tell ya that much! I have to get a dig. camera to get some pics goin. Thanks Dan! Rob

I always wondered what it was like living near the lakeshore and getting the heavy end of a lake effect snowstorm.... We get lake effect snow storms but nothing like that.... These tractors sure do the job though....

It will push a full blade of snow. These were taken about 3 hours later when I plowed again. About 5 inches the second time. Close to 8 the first time. And tomorrow I'll have to do it again.

Trac Tor; I prefer a plow, 1) I have gravel as large as 3 inches. I just dont like putting that through a blower. 2) I enjoy the plow more. A lot less snow blowing around.:D There is a 40 pound steel weight on each rear wheel and I have the rear end locked up for posi traction so no I dont need chains. For anything heavier or deeper I do add a 150# concrete block to the rear. It comes off quicker than chains. 1 ratchet strap and 2 pins. It sits on a homemade weight rack that I built. When I put it back on I'll get a couple pics of it too. Right now its off because the ball hitch is on.

:DDan, A little adjusting and you can have weight and a ball hitch!! That is a lot of snow in a short time. Better you than me, it just isn't fun anymore. ;)Crank up old blue, you be amazed how that tractor pushes too.

Can any of the Simplicities lock up the rear end. I guess I am really asking if my 3314 can do this and how do you do it?

Oh come on Dan, you can see the end of the driveway,I thought you said it was snowing ! Just keep it up there, We are starting to get a little here now. Don

Yea Don you know what its like. I used to live on Hermitage Rd just south of 20A. Its Warsaw but the weather was the same as Attica. didnt you get your dumping yesterday?

Reminds me of the time we got 2 inches an hour here. Well, the winds not blowing SW so this storm missed us. But we were told to expect some snow on Monday. How's your wife doing? Kent told me she was sick. I see she took some shots of you on the tractor. BTW, is that a red school bus in the third photo down?

Nick, Lisa hasnt been out of bed in 3 days. One of the kids took the pictures. That red bus is an old school bus that now belongs to the fire department. They use it for parades and functions. Kinda gives an idea of how small this town is. That building behind the bus is our firehall. There is an ambulance, 2 fire trucks and a boat in there. We have another firehouse about 6 miles away, that has the rescue squad and 2 more trucks. Though we live in the village of Waterport, the Fire Department is Town of Carlton which encompasses the villages of Waterport, Carlton, Kent, Point Breeze, Kuckville, Oak Orchard, Waterport Station, and probably a couple others I cant think of. And yes they are all serviced by those 2 Fire Houses. Theres not much out here. LOL Also for years Carlton held the record fastest response time in the county. They may still, I dont know for sure. Lisa is doing a little better, you can understand her when she talks now. Her doctor thinks she has a stone in her Salivary Gland, similar to a kidney stone I guess. So the side of her face and neck is severely swelled up. She's on a couple meds and will see the doctor again Monday I think. She's been sleeping pretty much all the time since Monday afternoon.

Ronald; On the 3314 I dont know. I know how to do the B's but nothing newer. I'm sure its possible to make anything posi but have no idea how to do it. The B series has set screws or bolts in the right hub that help to create the "slip". If they are over torqued on the nylon bushing inside it doesnt slip. Just dont expect it to steer very well. I dont recommend doing it but it does work. I'm sure it doesnt do some of the parts any good. Marty; I never had any winter play desire this year. Anybody wants to come and "play" here I'll leave it all where it falls for you. I'll stand inside where its warm and take pictures for you. LOL

Dan, You may have all the lake effect snow, or any snow in general, that was intended for me is this life. I had enough of snow when I lived in Michigan. In the early 90's I did a lot of business travel to Buffalo so I know what you are experiencing. Cheers,

Glad to here she's out of bed. Bob my neighbor said your more then welcome to help come plow out his driveway anytime you want. [:0]

Bunky,we get lake effect snow here in our area but we live far enough away from the lake that we dont get the full effect of the good stuff..in fact usually about 1 mile from us you will see that they dont have near as much snow...if you go 10 mile the other wat (by the lake) they have piles everywhere...

Dan, Tell Lisa that Becky and I are thinking about her and wish her all the best in a quick recovery. Ronald, You can lock any of the planetary diffs, both old and new. On the older ones you could move the washers to the back side of the gear that drives the left axle, and that would make that gear intersect both sets of spider gears (ones that connect to left gear and ones that connect to right gear. This locks up the assembly. On the newer ones where the spacer is made onto the left axle gear, with only a couple of thin friction washers, you have to take the left gear off and turn it around so that the spacer is toward the tranny. This makes it lock up the spiders also. Hope this helps.

It sounds like locking the rear axle is semi permanent, it can be reversed but not a simple adjustment. However, tractor is used for snow and tilling. Does it affect my turning greatly. Will i need forty acres to turn around in?

Ron; they do tend to "push" on anything slick (wet grass, snow). In the garden they turn okay because the soil under the rear wheels is loose enough to slip. On the yard you will tear the grass a little in hard turns. I have mine set up that way because it does more "work" than mowing. When I push snow I move it all 150 feet or so and in the summer I dug a ditch with a grader blade and drag junk mowers around as well as moving heavy trailers so I want the added traction. As well when I do mow with it, I mow a hill too steep to go up and down with only one wheel driving. I also have a rather large "wet spot" in my lawn that without the traction wouldnt get mowed till June. I tend to "overwork" my tractor so it needs all the help it can get. So unless you have some real uses for it you really dont need it. For the most part, chains would handle most users needs.

My B-112 had the rear end locked up when I got it going, didn;t know why til I tore it down and posted some questions here. It took 40 acers to turn around useing reverse a few times. MPH

I have chains, but do not want to use them on my neighbors driveways and sidewalks. I think i will lock up rear end and at least try it can always undo my dirty work.