Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
tweeter6216

Throttle Problem

tweeter6216
I have a Briggs opposed twin with the carb mounted on the two-piece intake. When I give it throttle the engine sputters and weakens for a second or two before more power is received. I tried adjusting the main jet screw on the front of the carb but I cant get it right.

Al
Hi, Try adjusting it by the Briggs manual. Some of these engines have fixed main jet carbs, with only a low speed adjust. Check the float level also you might want to check the compression to see both cyls are about equal. You might have an intake valve leaking a little bit. Also check the mainfold for leaks. Not all that common, but occasionally happen on the 2 piece manifolds where they are glued together. It won't be a very large leak or the engine would run worse otherwise. Are your plugs good and gapped right? Just a few thoughts to start looking at. Look at the carb and base gaskets first. Al Eden.

HubbardRA
I had a B/S Vanguard that could not be properly adjusted. It had a fixed jet carb. I eventually enlarged the main jet by .001 inch and it ran beautifully. The slightest change in an engine can throw off a fixed jet carb. Fixed jet carbs are nearly always set toward the lean side at the factory for emissions. They nearly always run better if made a little richer. Caution! Don't drill a jet unless you absoletely know to do it properly. I don't think they are available separately, and if you screw up, you will be buying a new carb. My controversial two cents!