Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

SWAG WTD Re:hrs on 9020 mower deck?

slo383

just curious about estimate of # of hrs on my 9020 mower deck. outside deck rollers worn out. central bore about twice the original size. i didn't look to see how worn down on the outside. rollers inside deck look ok but obviously worn. the outer roller rod that goes through the rollers is worn flat in several places. the max flat spot is about 1/8th inch worn into the rod. i know these are indications of "many " hours of use but does anyone have an opinion about how many hours? i rebuilt the deck and it mows great although still lower than i would like. Looks to be original onan 19.5 engine, not smoking and good power as far as i can tell. thanks sam

Sam, Its hard to say but my deck was like that at around 500 hrs. I spent a small fortune a bought new rollers and the rear rod with brackets that the roller are on. The next time I plan to bore the rubber out and install a steel sleeve with an oilite liner. You can tell when its ready, you can't adjust it enough to get a good hight.

Just depends on how well it has been maintained and how hard it has been used (rocky fields, gravel...). A deck can be in relatively good shape at 500 hours. Yours could have up to 2000 hours on it if it was well cared for (though it is unlikely that someone maintaining it would have let it go that far before replacing wear items). But it does happen.

I agree that the maintance and treatment make s abig difference on the conditions of a Mowerdeck my Kids can use mine 1 summer and make it look like it's 50 years old.... LOL Scott I too have thought of making bushings to put in the rollers to make them last longer, I don't think it would be that difficult....

I bush my deck rollers with plastic electrical conduit. Drill'em out & press a section of conduit in. The ID of the conduit is slightly over 5/8" so it works good. The plastic is low friction so they last a good while. When the plastic wears just replace it. The conduit I used is grey.

I haven't tried that but Simplicity does sell end (cap) plastic bushings for the Sunstar deck rollers which would also work on the Powermax decks. One thing I do whenever I get a older deck is remove the rollers, sand down any surface rust and/or raised edges on the bar, then coat the roller with copper-based anti-sieze compound which seems to last much better that grease.