Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

paint

mathisw

I have a 1978 Yeoman. Paint:Deep Orange (matches origional color). I also have a 1971 Broodmoor which I am restoring. The dealer says that the paint is the same. Looking at the Broodmoor, it seems to be a brighter lighter orange??????????????????????????? anyone know the deal?? It looks like it hasn't been re-painted..

I know there were at least three different colors of orange on the AC machines. I assume the Simplicities were similar. I was given some paint by a distributor who sponsored one of my pulling tractors. In the bunch was three different colors of orange with three different color names. I don't remember what they were and didn't write it down at the time.

Well I think alot of it is like this... Back in the pre 80's(well still in some cases today) paint was mixed up in batches and colors alot of times would very a few shades or more from one batch to another...This was even the case for auto's... Really it is still the case because sometimes when I paint sertain cars the paint supply house likes me to bring in a part from the car or drive it to them so they can get the right shade...One car I painted had like 8 different shades of color for the one paint code...Dont know why they cant get it right from the factory but it happens like this all the time...

I get this paint at the local farm supply (Big R) and love the paint. i dont recomend the spray cans, it did not seem to dry hard and was easy to scrach. also it run real easy. But the quart can and some harder made a great looking job. Cost like $7. paint and like $10 for the hardner and a gallon of thinner was around 3 or 5 bucks. Total less than $25 and it did the tractor. check it out. http://www.vansicklepaint.com/mntequip.htm As long as you have a compressor,regulator and sray gum your set. Good luck. Dhardin

My friend used multiple painting then wet sanding then painting!,, coats of chev eng orange,plasticote I believe? and they are gorgeous!,,durability is a bit of a question though,but they are only for shows so it dosent much matter I guess,