Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
SMahler

Battery not charging on 712S

SMahler
So the great news was that my 712S started instantly last night when it was -5 degrees. Plowing was a breeze. The bad news is that for the 3rd usage in a row, the new Amp meter is suddenly reading slight negative with engine running, big negative with lights on. And I think it is correct because my lights got a little dim last night. I checked all the wires and connections and nothing is loose or broken....help! I have a little 12v tester light. Where should I be checking to determine which component is broken? I have the owners manual, didnt see much on the charging system. Thanks for all your help!

dratkinson
I'm new at this, so: I'd think you would need a small voltmeter, so you can tell the difference between the ~12v from the battery and ~14v from the charging system. There should be 14+v coming to the regulator from your generator when the engine is running fast. There should be 14v coming from the regulator to recharge your battery. The more experienced folks will need to help you more. /r David Denver (no snow, yet)

Ronald Hribar
I can not remember how to do it, but you should try polarizing generator. I thik it is from field to armature that you temporary cross terminals. yes it will spark, and then you should see it charge on ampmeter

Brent_Baumer
Could be the flywheel alternator or the regulator. The 14 volt test will only tell you that it isn't working, which you already know. Pull the plug from the alternator to the regulator. It should have 3 terminals. Test the AC voltage while running across the outer two terminals of the connector. They should read in the neighborhood of 30-35 VAC if memory serves. If it doesn't the flywheel alternator is bad or a wire is broken. If it does, the regulator isn't working or the wire from the center terminal of the regulator to the battery is broken. New regulators are something like $90 and up. I see used on ebay for about $12-$20. Hope this helps. Brent

Dutch
All Allis 712 tractors with the Kohler engines DIDN'T use the same alternator system. Some had a very low output unregulated system. Does your 712 have a regulator? Have you added any electrical accessories like an electric lift, clutch, or lights? Check the battery voltage with the engine running at half throttle with all lights and other electric accessories turned off. If you have about 13.5 volts, your alternator is working. Check your inline fuse or circuit breaker.

SMahler
Thanks for all the initial help. I have the manual, but not here at work :(! If my memory serves, I do have a regulator - a square ribbed metal thing just above and to the rear of the starter. My machine does have front headlites, and I found an old wire running to the rear - perhaps a work light at some point. Where is the alternator (some said it was flywheel driven)? With engine running, I tried to get a voltage reading off the starter with no luck...to make matters more interesting [:0] the wiring has been monkeyed with at some point, and does not match the pictures in my manual. For example, I have no fuse link below the regulator.... Thanks for your continued help - oh, and I did move the spring to a tighter setting, seemed to be better. When plowing snow it is hard to test gov. since it is a steady load.

Dutch
The "square ribbed metal thing" is probably a rectifier/regulator (RR). You can't see the alternator unless you remove the engine. The alternator coils are attached to the back of the flywheel. Follow the manual and check for alternator (AC) output going into the RR. If AC is present, check for DC output coming out of the RR and going to the battery.

Cal
A quick way to check your system, would be to first unplug the regulator and look at the 3 prong plug if the terminals are burned or corroded clean them with anail file and them carefully clean like terminals on reg. If this doesnt make it charge unplug the reg. again with your testlight check for power at theterm. that is not leading to the eng. (key on), then check stator by putting test light across the 2 terminals that lead behind flywheel have someone start eng. light should light asrpm increases light should get brighter, if it does replace reg. Cal