Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
TRAC TOR

Ready! or Not?

TRAC TOR
I got to use the B112 for the first time during the recent storm here in CT. I was as ready as I could be,considering that I knew nothing about these tractors other than that it goes forward and backwards,I slapped the blower and the chains on and then it started,It came on with a vengence,more and more, on and on, (I'm talking about the problems) The hydraulic lift would not work I dragged the blower all over the place. The chute kept getting clogged with snow, the belt came off the blower twice. The chains on the tires did not stay where they should have I had to repetedly remove them so that I could put them back on properly. Most of the time the clutch would not engage so I would jam it into gear (grind)"I was determined" so much that I pulled the knob off the shifter. Not knowing any better I thought I blew the trasmission in the middle of the road after a while I realized that a belt had come off of one of the pullys,even though it continued to come off it was comforting to know what the problem was and how to temporarily fix it. What should have taken a couple of hours was taking the entire day, finally I managed to smoke the belt on the blower till it was no longer working. Fortunatly I was just about done, I decided to push the snow with the blower I was amazed at the results I was getting,wow this was fun! However I was exausted, a couple of days to rest. Now after many questions,and lots of advise from many of the guys on this site,I have gotten to know my tractor a lot better. I took off the blower and put on the plow,I figured out what counter weights do and installed them. Put on a new varidrive belt and watched what happens so that I understand the clutch shifting procedure. Adjusted the engine so that it revs higher allowing the hydro lift to actually work. Chains tightened properly so that they should not come off. The tractor looks mean,its ready and waiting,I'm ready,(then again thats what I thought the last time.)Well time will tell............... Ps It occured to me that for you guys who do not have a plow maby some kind of a cover could be made to go over the front of the blower converting it to some kind of a plow. If anyone should try it be carefull, try it at your own risk!

RedbarnRick
Well after reading this I came to the conclusion that if your engine wasn't revving up enough for the hydro lift it probably wasn't revving fast enough for the blower either, I have used a blade for years but I just recently got a blower and it made short work of a big job even with a few problems (see my show and tell post) give that blower another chance you might enjoy the results.

MPH
Have checked or chenged the oil in your hydro lift? The one on my landlord will raise the blade in the shop just running the starter. You got someother problem there. Too many revs and you'll be chasing your engine parts across the driveway. If you ground at your poor tranny gears as hard as it sounds like you did, it be smart to at least chage your tranny grease too remove all the gear filings.. MPH

D-17_Dave
Sometimes the best teacher is life itself. Good luck and I'm sure things will come around. Also when you think your already to go, those little gremlins will just pop up out of EVERYWHERE and ruin playtime,,, I mean choretime.

mowerman1193
quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
Sometimes the best teacher is life itself. Good luck and I'm sure things will come around. Also when you think your already to go, those little gremlins will just pop up out of EVERYWHERE and ruin playtime,,, I mean choretime.
Yes I agree they pop out everywhere..I give up 10 years ago at thinking I was ready...But I did learn that if you have 4-5 tractors that you "think" are ready you can get the job done most of the time:D:Dthen you get them ready for the next snow...