Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
wasmeneh

Briggs 11hp Torque Settings

wasmeneh
I'm replacing the head gasket on my 11 HP Briggs model 253707? What torque settings for the bolts? I think I need it in Foot pounds, my wrench is not at home right now? Thanks in advance Mike

Roy
Do not use a ft-lb torque wrench for low ft-lb values. They are inaccurate at low values. You could end up stripping threads. Get an inch-lb wrench. It will be more accurate and eliminate the possibility of stripped threads. My experience.

UCD
165 in lbs divided by 12 = 13.75 ft lbs 190 in lbs divided by 12 = 15.833 ft lbs. 12"lbs = 1'lb 165"lbs ÷ 12"lbs = 13.75"lbs 156"lbs = 13lbs 190"lbs ÷ 12"lbs = 15.833'lbs 192"lbs = 16'lbs You can use a good 1'lb to 25'lb torque wrench with no problem do not use a 10'lb to 150'lb the low end is very inacurate. the best to use would be a Inch pound torque wrench. the clicker type is best. The most important thing with either type you use is to get as close to specs as you can and all bolts are consistent torque. torque in 3 steps, ½ torque value, ¾ torque value then full torque value