Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Double Axle Broadmoor.....

thedaddycat

Well, I had been thinking about how I would go about doing a project like this ever since I saw that one B out in Michigan last summer. Dan sent me a link to pics in this guy's gallery, check it out....

I went back and looked some more for details. It looks like there's a drive belt to the rear tranny so I'm guessing it's a live axle too. I don't know how they ganged the shifters...

;)Looks good Kirk!! Will be waiting to watch the progress on your's and a couple others I've heard about. BTW, I got to laughin lookin at your pics the other day. I see you swappin off mower decks often. You got so many parts and projects a blade of grass doesn't have a chance at your place.

Kirk, when I got my Broadmoor that was the way I got it. Some one took the pivit point off another rearend and had it bolted to the rear end of mine. He welded a small pulley to the main drive pulley on the tranny. He never finished the shiffters. You had to shift the front first then reach back and shift the back one. I now regret taking some pictures of it before I took it apart. Elon

Hello, Thats my tractor! lol I did that last summer I think, lol. Time flys when you are having fun! You are right, the second tranny is LIVE but the shifters are another problem. Never did figuer out a good way to hook the together. Open to ideas though. Some minor problems that I have run into with that unit are: you will get hung up on some humps and bumps. I over came this by playing with tire pressures. Turning isnt all that bad but its also been over a year since I have had that tractor out! I even have crome fenders that I am going to put over the wheels. What kind of ideas do you have for your tractor? William Jordan

William, Yes, I copied the pic but didn't want to put your name out there. I had been looking the pics over and was formulating a few questions, like about the shifters. For my project I was thinking of a double axle kind of like an old delivery truck. I can't find the post with pics from the Colchester Show last fall, or I'd link a pic to show what I'm thinking along the lines of. Come to think of it, that one was a single rear axle but dual rear wheels. The guy had a belt driven cider press running off the rear tire which was jacked up off the ground....... Anyone know where it went? It seems like almost all the posts from Events & Gatherings are gone......

I have been thinking about a project simular but on the onther end...I have all these tractors (Broadmoors) that I have picked up at the local salvage yard and all that I have alot of frames and such... I was thinking more of cutting a frame into and welding the front section to another frame and make it a dual engine Broadmoor..I still might do this in a couple years...I would not be hacking up any good parts other than the frame because I have a hood that the front is damaged and another that the rear is damaged so I could cut them in half as well to lengthen the hood, might even be able to run dual gas tanks LOL...only other thing that I can think of would be I would have to make a longer steering arm..I would cut the axle tube off the inborn axle and have the very front one to steer...Bet I could get a 42" or 48" deck under it then,LOL

quote:
Originally posted by thedaddycat
Kevin, one engine for driveline and the other for PTO?
Thats a idea Kirk,I was thinking more like running both to the driveline but i think your idea might work out better

Here's one of my pics from Colchester this fall, a dual engine,dual axle cub, [img]/club2/attach/reeds/dscn0509m.jpg[/img] Kirk I know the pic your looking for, the early Ford stake bed which I know I have a pic of somewhere, either on disc or memory card I'll post it if I can find it!

Is this the picture you were looking for Kirk? [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/reeds/Dscn0499.jpg[/img]

Yes Daddycat I figured you already had a Tandem project started.. I see theres more tandem units made then I thought all Brands.. I think they are cool but If I was going to do something like this it would be an articulating unit... LOL

I have never thought to take a pic of it but there is a Sears dual axle running around this area somewhere. I sold the guy parts to build it with.

quote:
Originally posted by gregc
Kirk, that means you're thinking of putting runnin' boards on a foot dragger.[:0]B)
Oooooohh Boy! Here we go again :D:D:D Might want to paint it pink to go with the running boards and umbrella:D:D

Those aren't running boards, the fenders are just real long......... lol I'm not just talking about putting a bed on the back, but the whole stretched frame and all where the tranny would be about where the rear ones are on the double axled ones and the bed would extend beyond it a little. I'd still like to be able to use the rear lift, hitch and PTO, too... Another thing to add since I'd have plenty of room is that hydraulic cylinder that was on the first Wonder Boy I got. Can you say "Dump Bed"??? That unit could be powered from a left side BGB pulley(doubt I'd be mowing with it...) or maybe the extra right side pulley like is on some of the older tractors. I don't think it would fit where the OEM hyrdo lift unit would. Hmmmmm...... Anyone out there with hydraulic system experience, let me fly this one by you. How hard would it be to put a double valve on the supply and return lines of an OEM hydraulic lift unit so you could use the one pump and control valve on two different rams(lift shaft and bed dump)? Shifting the valve would port the lines to either one ram or the other... That B truck had running boards but they were tacked to the foot boards and the fenders while the fenders were welded to the front axle. Since the axle pivots and the frame does not....... Greg, I know there was another side shot of that truck, but from the left side. I tried the Events & Gatherings again, still only get a few posts showing up. Do you have other pics of it anywhere? OK guys, I just went back again and figured it out. it must have been a default setting with the new forums and updates...... I found the posts. Thanks for the tips. Here's a side profile of the truck, just to give you a feel for the proportions.

quote:
Originally posted by thedaddycat
Those aren't running boards, the fenders are just real long......... lol
Long Fenders Thats a Good one Kirk8D8D A rear hydraulic dump is a great Idea also... :) And I would think that if you get the Rear axle powered there isn't any reason the Rear Pto wouldn't work...

Kirk, there is no reason the valving idea wouldnt work as you describe if you can find the proper valve to do it but does the OEM hydro have the capacity for the size cylinder your talking about??? I'm thinking your talking about a larger cylinder that was mounted down one side of the tractor if I remember correctly?? I think your gonna run out of oil before you get the bed up and wasnt that a double acting cylinder? Dumps are usually single but I guess you could power it down too.

If you use 725 rear ends it would work out fine for the shifter as you just run the shifter shaft through to the 2nd rear end same with the belt.Bob

Dan, you're right about the oil capacity and the other cylinder being a lot larger. The rig from the WB has a seperate pump and tank so I guess yo could put as big a tank as neeed and use it to power both rams instead of using the OEM pump......

Kirk, I'm new to this club, but I built a tandem B-110 about a year ago. Powered the rearend in the rear with a chain. The shifter rod runs through the top of the trans so I cut off a shifter rod & welded it to the front trans stub that sticks out the back. Everything works great,until I hit uneven ground. I'm not sure if I lock the diffs or put tracks on it.Mike