Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Replacement Battery for 22NF

stevenj

Some of the recent posts have mentioned using a Group Size 51 or 51R battery as a replacement for the 22NF originally supplied with some of the tractors. I don't remember anyone mentioning using a Group Size 45 battery. The #45 battery has the same dimensions as the #22NF battery. See link below for battery dimensions. http://www.rtpnet.org/~teaa/bcigroup.html I've used the #51 or #51R battery in the AC B210 in the past but the last time I replaced the battery I used a #45. I don't have the original OEM battery hold down bracket and rod anymore so to keep the battery from moving around I've used pieces of plywood to take up all the fore/aft and side to side clearance. I'm not even sure the original hold down bracket would work anyway since the new batteries have the rectangular vent covers for the cells instead of the six individual round vent caps for each of the cells that were used on the original #22NF battery. I know the #45 battery has the hold down tabs near the bottom of the case on both sides of the battery along the length. I'm pretty sure that the #51/51R battery had the same hold down tabs also. I don't know if these would interfere with the hold down rod or not. As far as the location of the terminal posts is concerned, I needed new cables anyway, so I bought the correct lengths to match up with the terminal locations.

Check the Commonly asked questions forum I posted a question about this a While back and it's in there with many replies... I don't recall anyone mentioning the group 45 either.. I'm curious myself Was the 45 cheaper I think a 51 series is in the $30-$40 dollar range...

45,51 and 51R are Honda batteries that fit Civics when the battery is mounted on the firewall.When we order 45 at our shop we are always shipped 51 so I assume it is superceded.

quote:
Originally posted by patrician12
45,51 and 51R are Honda batteries that fit Civics when the battery is mounted on the firewall.When we order 45 at our shop we are always shipped 51 so I assume it is superceded.
In the garage I have a group 51 Sears Die Hard battery, that came out of a Honda CRX. comparing it to a 22NF, it's a little narrower, but definetly will fit in my B-110 battery tray.

so whats wrong with using the 22nf they are available at any Interstate battery dealer then you have the right size battery with the post in the correct location. just my thoughts on a simple subject Cal