Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
timntam

Simplicity 7790 Diesel

timntam
:D I'm a new poster to this site. I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments and advice. I've been looking for posts on Simplicity's 7790 and haven't found many. I'm looking for owner's experiences with the 7790. I have the oppurtunity to pick one up for what I think is a reasonable price. I'm primarily going to use it for lawn care and maybe some some blowing. The owner says it is difficult to start in cold weather but I think he primarily used it in the summer. Any and all opinions are appreciated. Thxs Tim

UCD
Tim Welcome to the best tractor club on the net bar none. I have a 7790 I bought this tractor new in 1985. I can't tell you how it mows as I have never had a deck on it. In it's 19 years all it has ever done is blow snow. I estimate it has over 5000 hours on it blowing snow. You will be hard pressed to find something that blows snow better. They have the low end torque needed to handle all snow conditions with out loosing power. As far as starting in cold weather there is a little more involved in starting an air cooled diesel than a gas engine. Be sure you have winter mixed fuel if tractor is stored in an unheated area. You need a high cranking amp rated battery and winter weight oil. I have 0w-40 Mobil 1 synthetic oil in mine right now. The Lombardini engine has a manifold heater instead of glow plugs. Mine sets in an unheated garage now and I don't have much trouble starting it at -30° I use a 250 watt infrared heat lamp for 20 to 30 min before I want to start it. With the hood up I clamp the light to the hood with it shining on the top of the engine and intake manifold about 6" away. The light is plugged into an outlet that is wired to a switch in the house. I turn it on before I get ready to go out. When I start it I hold the manifold heater button on for between 30 sec and 1 min then with the clutch pushed in turn the key to start while sill holding the manifold heater button on. It usually starts on the 5th or 6th turn over. I might hold the manifold heater on for a few seconds depending on how cold it is after it starts and idling good. Then I bring the rpm's up just over idle enough to smooth it out. These engines will really shake on a cold idle. A couple oz's. of ATF in the fuel each tank helps keep the injectors clean and run & start better.

KohlerMan
I agree whole-hartedly with Maynard. And I can say they mow excelently to. If you have ever mowed with a simplicity, then imagine something with 3 times as much power, About 1/2 the fuel, and way less headache to keep it going and you'll be pretty close:):):):D. -OOPS! I did not notice that Greesmonkey was logged in instead of me! Guess who? Lawrence!, LBS

PatRarick
Question for Maynard and anyone else with a 7790 or a 920. I've never seen one of these or heard one run. You say that the engine jumps around when idling or idling cold. Does that seem to affect the longevity of the BGB, compared to the gasoline models? Just curious. Pat

LBS
Not if you keep everything tight so it does not rattle. I let my driveshaft get loose on the BGB and it ruined the keyways in the BGB in about 3 hours of idling. but before that it had about 2000 hours and it was perfect. At full blast it runs smoother than a lot of briggs. I LOVE mowing with it, it's smooooooth and powerful!

MikeES
Maynard, Thanks. I renamed and reattached the picture, thanks for the direction. This is probably my complete ignorance of how web pages work, butI wasn't able to comprehend your post on fixing the red X syndrom. Mike.

UCD
Mike I don't know how to make it any simpler. It is step by step with illustrations. Tell me what you don't understand about the process. Maybe it will help others understand to understand it better to.