Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

738-Pulley Sizes

Agricola

I picked up a 738 Broadmoor but since it has no engine nor pulleys for the engine, I need some information. What are the dimensions for the engine pulleys that are used on this machine? Width and diameter. Also it seems that someone welded pipe to the rear axles. I haven't had a chance to pull the rear wheels but I'm wondering why anyone would do that. The tires seem to be at the correct width. Thanks for the help.

John, I think that the engine drive pulley is 3" OD. and the engine PTO pulley is 4.5" OD. Sorry I don't know the width of the pulleys offhand.

The rear wheels on my 738 are all wobbled out, the holes for the retaining pins are elongated and the wheels fit real sloppy on the axle. Somebody might have had the same problem and welded some pipe to it. I thought about cutting and welding new pieces on them myself. If anybody has a set of rear wheels for a 738, let me know, I'd be interested in a pair.

got alot on my mind right now but. tomorrow i can give you all the measurements you want from a fresh restore on a 738. badcars

I am pretty sure I saw two 738s at a lawn mower salvage lot close to me. They looked in good condition. I will probably go there this weekend so I will check,matt

badcars, mine are REALLY bad, like 1" long slots, no meat left to redrill and they fit real sloppy on the axle, the whole tube is wallered out. They were run loose for a long time when I got it.

If your axle shaft is ok then all you need is the hub that slide over the axle...And these are still avalible either at Jackssmallengines.com or at your local dealer...I think the part number should be 156218 Hope this helps..

mowerman, there are no hubs on mine, the whole wheel has to be replaced, simp#170033 I think. It looks like they are availible, kinda pricy, I'm just looking for a used pair that aren't all wobbled out.

Well all my manuals show the 738 having the hub...The manual doesn't give the part numbers but I thought they was all the same..My 717 has the same hubs as my 728 does...When I first bought my 728 the wheels was so rusty I thought they was all one peice but after looking closer at it there are 3 lug bolts that bolt the wheel to the hub..The part number you listed just shows it as a wheel...as far as I can tell... I need to look up a actual 738 parts manual to really be able to tell though...

when in doubt dude add metal. i was looking at mine and it doesnt look that hard to slide a heavier piece of tubing over the one on your wheel, cut it to the end of the original wheel but give plenty of meat and weld it to the old wheel, then measure and drill through both pieces. you may need longer pins but it would be much stronger than factory i think. badcars