Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
dhardin

chrome rings?

badcars
i know in my race motors i wont use them unless on a fresh bore. they dont seem to seat well on a honed cylinder. dont know, they are so much harder than the material around them oil consumption always become a problem. but dont get me wrong i love them on a overbore rebuild. when they get a foothold , they seem to be there to stay. actually have never tried them in a briggs, i know that is what your curious about anyway. not sure of the cylinder wall hardness after a decent hone job badcars

HubbardRA
From my experience in many types of engines, I will stay away from chrome rings if possible. They are hard to seat, and make the cylinder wear instead of the ring. I would rather replace rings more often than to rebore cylinders or replace engines.

10HorseMan
Had a 12 HP Briggs and did not bore out when replacing rings and I noticed that a lot of metal was coming with oil on the first 4 oil changes. Had to bore block 0.0015 of a inch, and then replaced with standard rings. I'd stay away from them. :)

mitten
I have used chrome rings on the last 5 briggs engines that I rebuilt. Seem to work good for me. One has been used for 7 years now with no problem. The last one was a 16 hp and put it right to work with the lawn vac. After 10 tanks of gas it was only down alittle on oil. Didn't need to add. Do not hone the cylinder and it most be within .0005 of standard bore. I have also used chrome in the aluminum blocks with good results.

BLT
Going on 8 years on an '86 engine 12HP vertical that I put on my Broadmoor 728 (picture in my profile). Oil comsumption, negligible. But 12HP on 36 in cut is a bit overkill. Also have a chrome set on my 7010 tractor, have a 12HP shortblock and an 18 twin horizontal spare engine all chromed and ready to go. For the most part I have had good luck.