Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sears Snowblower on AC716H

HubbardRA

I now have about 90 percent of the mounting of the Sears snow blower on my AC716H completed. I chose to use a two belt arrangement because the first attempt, a one belt system with a crossed belt to rotate the blower in the right direction did not work, because it would not disengage because of all of the twists and turns in the belt. I started over and came up with this arrangement.

The engine has a fixed pulley with the belt going around two idlers to a double idler that simulates the crankshaft location on the Sears tractor. I created the double idler by welding two idlers together.

The overall installation came out pretty good.

I still need to make some belt guides, and tighten the belt going to the blower. I also need to make a holding bracket for the engagement rod that will bolt directly to my starter-generator flange. Even the original Sears lift lever can be used with a little bending to clear the muffler.

The front mount was made by flipping the two sears mounting plates upside down by switching left and right and welding them to some homemade axle mounts. I didn't get any pictures of that set-up. The entire pulley mounting system bolts to a single mounting plate held onto the tractor by two 3/8 inch bolts. If you notice, this is not the original engine. This is a B/S 243431 with a low mount starter. Please don't ask for drawings, because the entire pulley system had to be custom bent/welded to get the belts to align, and since the engine is not original, this exact system could not be used with a Kohler, it would have to be re-designed. The rear double idler mounts in a slot to adjust the short belt from the engine. The snow blower can be moved forward in the multiple mounting holes to adjust the longer blower belt. I hope to complete it soon and get to try it in a snow. I still have to finish making the skid shoes to weld to the mounting brackets that Kirk (Daddycat) sent me. Many thanks to Dan (rokon2813) and Kirk (daddycat) for their help in making this project come together.

As I sort of said above, this is the second design. My first one didn't work. I am really proud that I can remove that whole assembly, except for the engine pulley, by revoving only two bolts. Also I can use the original hood by removing about a 1 by 3 slice to allow the belts to clear the bottom corner.

Dutch, I think thats the one he is calling the rear double idler here The rear double idler mounts in a groove to adjust the short belt from the engine. The snow blower can be moved forward in the multiple mounting holes to adjust the longer blower belt. I hope to complete it soon and get to try it in a snow

Dutch, Dan is correct. The rear double idler bolt goes through a slot so that it can be slid fore and aft to tighten the belt from the engine pulley. You will also notice that the two idlers that change the belt direction have one "V" idler and one backside idler. This was done so that the two parts of the belt would be twisted in opposite directions to prevent the belt from flipping on its side as it goes around the other pulleys. I saw this when I was laying things out. I used an old belt that I had cut to allow flexibility when I was lining up the idler mounts. The engine belt and the double idler turn all the time the engine is running, but the blower belt can be disengaged with the clutch on the blower. The short belt is a Goodyear "Gatorback" belt which is very flexible with cord only at the outer edge, but with lugs like an AG tire that fit down in the groove to prevent slippage. The long belt will be a heavy duty commercial type belt, probably a "green" Gates belt. No Simplicity belts available for this setup. Can't wait to try it out. Don't know how it will do with the rust on the auger and inside the discharge chute. Probably won't get around to painting the whole thing till spring. May at least sand the auger and paint the inside of the chute. They are predicting snow tomorrow. Might get to try it. By the way, I know the tractor is not "orange", but that is on the "to do" list. Of course with the length of my list it may take a couple of years to get around to it.

This is a great job of fabricating something and making it work. Do people ever use electric clutches on these types of engines?

Looks very nice, it had given me some ideas. I have a line on 2 new Sears blower that look just like the one u are working on. They are new but have been seting out for a long time. I think i can get both for good money, but was conserned about just what u have done. Thanks..

Simple John, Clutch was already on the blower. I thought about an electric clutch, but a pulley was a lot cheaper. The two idlers that change direction of the belt would be needed anyway. Also a spring loaded tensioner is needed when the blower moves up and down. It already had this with the existing clutch mechanism. Also if the belt is taken around idlers and directly to the blower, the belt must be crossed to give the proper rotation and the lifting of the blower will throw the belts out of line and make them jump off or tear up the belts. With this setup pictured, those problems are eliminated. Only question I have now is "will the belts on this setup withstand heavy usage?". By the way, if you have an electric clutch you could use it and just leave the other clutch engaged with this setup.