Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tire/Rim Spacers

mbrook

If I put some spacers between the rim and the axle does that change the torque on the axles, or have any other affect? The reason I ask this is that the rims that are on my 3210 parts tractor appear to have a different offset than that on the 3212. I was hoping to put some 23-10.5-12 Lug tires on the parts tractor rims. But I would probably need some spacers to clear the varible drive pully and brake band.

I have 23x10.5x12 tires on my 61 Wards 3 speed (no varidrive)with plenty of clearance. It usually depends on the width and offset of the wheels that you are using.

I have 23x10.5x12 Lugs on my B-112V without any problem of clearance. Think you should be ok, Trie it and see, think very much for spacers would cause a weak point myself because your adding leverage on the bolts and bearing both.. MPH

got to go with mph on the spacer thing. may just be my thinking b ut, seems if you space the wheel out from the hub you multiply the amount of stress put on the studs several times. also you give the wheel enough leverage to bend the studs in the flange. another reason is that the strange axles i ordered for my drag car have three inch studs threaded in for the wheels. guarenteed for life. it was in the warranty in very bold print. all warranty void if spacer used between wheel and axle flange. so obviously there is some kind of strength issue there, and these thing are 1/2 x 3 inches long. so it must really decrease durability. just a thought. badcars

It is not going to be the studs that are the limiting factor, but the wear that will be caused on the bearing in the diff. This bearing is relatively short, so the increased leverage will cause much more bearing wear and loading on the gears. This will probably cause premature diff failure.

There's enough room inside the axle tube to run a double set if you're worried about it that much. You can also double up the spindle bearings where it rides in the front axle and put in the thrust washer upgrade. While I've heard plenty of mention of upgrading the front,especially by those with loaders, I don't htink anyone's ever mentioned upgrading the rear axle bearings to a double set......

First let me say thanks for the advice, I was concerned with the torque\leverage being a problem. Also last night I got out the tape measure and a staight edge to check the offsets on the rims. On my 3212 I have about a 2 1/2" backset, thats measured from the back edge of tire to the mounting flange. On the 3210 I have about a 3" backset. I also measured the distance from inside of rim to inside of rim on both tractors. On the 3212 I have 19" and on the 3210 I have 16". Now with the backset difference of 1/2" on each rim and the rims being the same width I should only have a difference of 1" but I have 3". This leads to the conclusion that if I measured correctly the axles on the 3210 are shorter by 1" each. Since I plan on using the 3212 as my working tractor I will hopefully have enough clearance to put some 23-10.5-12 lugs on the rims from the 3210 and still be able to put them on the 3212. Before I do that though I'm going to mount the 3210 rims on the 3212 and double check for clearance.

You only need one more inch of clearance if you are changing from an 8.50 tire to a 10.50 tire, since the tire will center itself on the rim.

The loaders made for the early Landloard's & B's had wheel spacers for clearence of the rear loader frame. Spacers should not cause any problems. These are the spacers that came in the attaching kit for 515 loader. The 412 loader had the same spacers