Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Flywheel problems

I have a sneeky suspicion that my flywheel is bad on my 19.9 hp onan engine. I really do not want to put a Honda engine in it's place. Can anyone give me an idea of what a used flywheel for this will cost or can I still buy a new old stock one. Thanks Steve

You should be able to find a good used flywheel for around $200. Why would you think it's bad as Agricola says? I wouldn't make the big jump from assuming you have a bad charging system to needing a new motor. Vic

Onan flywheels are expensive if that's what you really need. A new flywheel was quoted to me at $790.00 (that was a few years ago). My best was to trade a 60" mower deck for a used CCKB with a good flywheel. Steve, I think you should remove the motor and pull the flywheel before you make that determination. If the magnet ring is still tight in the flywheel casting your flywheel should be just fine. You might just have bad stator/windings or connection, or even a faulty voltage regulator. New Onan prewound stator assembly runs about $160 and voltage regulator about $51.

hi - you can still get them from sears.com - some old sears tractors used them - search the old discussions about the topic - been discussed before - the are not cheap - better to just search out one on e-bay or something - good luck

Paul and All, I probably am jumping to fast to this conclusion. When I start the tractor, it does not read on the ampmeter that it is charging. I have a buddy who is a JD mechanic (of all things) and said these engines were notorious for the flywheel going bad. As long as it still starts ok, can I just keep running it this way without hurting anything?

Sounds more like a stator(a good place to start). Get the Onan manual & digital ohm meter, then run the tests. CCKB's are notorious for the magnet covers coming loose then jaming into the stator(then self-distructing...). Some simple things usually are a good idea; loctite the 3 stator screws & CORRECT Torque on the flywheel nut. As long as you have a GOOD battery charger, you should be OK. Let us know what you come up with or ya need some help. JP

quote:
Originally posted by 4101
Paul and All, I probably am jumping to fast to this conclusion. When I start the tractor, it does not read on the ampmeter that it is charging. I have a buddy who is a JD mechanic (of all things) and said these engines were notorious for the flywheel going bad. As long as it still starts ok, can I just keep running it this way without hurting anything?
Its still starting on its own???? If the battery is still charging probably only the ammeter or a fuse is bad. If its still starting on its own its still charging.

If the ammeter is is a shunt type, the engine will still charge even if the ammeter goes bad because the current still continues to flow through the shunt resistor. This happened on my son's Mustang.

Evening All, Steve, Before you condemn your flywheel check out this link. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&topic_id=514 This is an informative and well written article on troubleshooting your charging system. I have it bookmarked just in case. I have used it myself to discover that I had a bad regulator. My thanks to Al Eden for taking the time and effort to write this article for our benefit. Good luck, Later, Chad