Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

LOOKING FOR A FABRICATOR

roma3112

Guys I have recently aquired a grader blade from Dutch, and i was hoping to find a hitch for it somplace, but have had no luck as of yet. i went to a few local welding shops and they could not be botherd, they were not even willing to help me order the stock. :( I was wondering if there are any welders in the house that have made any and if so if they would be willing to make onefor me. Obviously i am not looking for a handout if anybody has the ability and time they can PM me and we can discuss $$. along with the auction Dutch sent me a set of plans so I do have those if sombody could build a hitch from them. Thanks john

You may be able to find the snow plow blade hitch with manual angling, it is basically the same and easier to find, you can use it with or without the lift bracket. I see these on ebay alot with the snow blade, and it's nice to have this as an option.

john, I run a small fabricating shop, about 20 guys, and right now we are not real busy. To make one of anything is very costly but I make some reproduction Oliver parts and sell them so I guess I could try some Simplicity parts. I would make 10 and see how they went. send me the plans and I could get a very accurate cost in a day or so. John Holcomb Peacock Industries Inc. 254 S. M37 Baldwin MI 49304 1-231-745-4609 or E-mail holcomb@t-one.net or peacock@net-port.com to my attention.

John, What is the center to center masuremnet between the mounting holes. I have a newer angle blade that I am going to take apart and use as a pattern for a mid mount blade.I can make more than one once I get started. It may be two to three weeks before I can get to this project.

Guys thanks for the reply I have had many pm's and have asked 1 member to look into making one for me, he is thinking it over and is going to let me know. I would be unwilling to forward any plans as the hard work belongs to dutch, if he wants to send them out (in john's case) i am sure he will read this and contact you , as we can all benefit. As far as measurements goes i will look at the plans later on tonight and reply to that member who had a question above. right now i am off to work :( take care guys and thanks john

That hitch designed by Dutch is a quality device which accompanies his blades. You buy the blade, you get a set of plans. Here comes the quirk. His plans are a copywrited item, hence it would be unethical and possibly illegal to copy them. However since a patent doesn't seem to be part of it, if someone buys a blade and makes numerous hitches to be sold from the plans that were included with the blade, would that be a problem? As one can see, this becomes quite an interesting discussion. I will be picking up a snowblade and hitch tomorrow and if desired, I can take a picture, draw it up, etc.

I do not want to step on Dutch's toes in any way, or to cut him out of any possible profit he would make off the hitches. Our shop has the equipment to make the blades also but I would not do that because Dutch has done such a good job and doesn't need anyone horning in on him. I have in the past made cutter edges for the 42 inch front blade for my own use and when I make the 5 at a time the are only about $10 each.

I agree that Dutch does a great job making the blades and that is why I purchased one from him. The plans are great also. The price was good, though I purchased on eBay before I knew I could get it here. I would encourage the members to pursue buying the blades from Dutch. If a good source for the hitch can be found, then we should pursue that. As for the blades, I have wondered if they are bent or cut from pipe.

About Hitch Plans
While it is true that my hitch plans are copyrighted, I did that to protect my customers as much as myself from PITA freeloaders. The hitch design is NOT mine. It is Simplicity's design. The detailed plans ARE a product of MY efforts. I purchased an OEM Simplicity blade and hitch and recorded all the measurements to make the plans. Anyone could spend their time and money and do the same thing. As for my copyright, I have no problem with my customers providing a set of plans to a fabricator. That's why I include the plans. What my copyright is meant to protect is putting the plans on the Internet. The next thing would be someone offering them for sale on eBay. Why should some stranger profit from my work? Why should my customers buy a blade and plans only to see some freeloader making an unethical profit? I repeat...... I have no problem with any of my customers providing the plans to another for the express purpose of having a hitch or hitches fabricated.

I too have bought a grader blade from Dutch, actually two of them(one from the first run he had made and one from the second run too if I'm not mistaken). I also have I think two or three sets of different plans for the hitch. Now I hope that what I'm about to say does not get misinterpreted or taken wrong, but what is the copyright date for the plans you got with your blade? Unless I'm mistaken, my plans will predate the copyright. I looked and can't find on them anywhere where it says that they're copyrighted.... Another thing to consider is that these hitches are nearly identical to the OEM 42" plow hitch(but without a lift arm), which Simplicity undoubtedly owns the pattent on. If you take an OEM hitch and more or less build a copy of it without the lift arm you'll sure enough be real close to any plans that anyone has, copyrighted or not....... Again, I am ABSOLUTELY NOT saying it's OK to ignore a copyright or pattent. You could still manage to have a hitch made that would work just fine without getting into an area that's "a little bit TOO grey"...... Dutch, I guess we must have been typing a reply at the same time and yours got posted just ahead of mine.... I didn't mean to sound like a wise guy following right behind you......

I have not yet built the hitch from the plans that come with the blade. As I was looking at it, I wondered... Where is the lift connected? Just to that cross piece?

quote:
Originally posted by john-holcomb
I do not want to step on Dutch's toes in any way, or to cut him out of any possible profit he would make off the hitches. Our shop has the equipment to make the blades also but I would not do that because Dutch has done such a good job and doesn't need anyone horning in on him. I have in the past made cutter edges for the 42 inch front blade for my own use and when I make the 5 at a time the are only about $10 each.
John, You're new to this club and therefore may not know the background of how I came to offer these blades. If you can fabricate hitches, you will not be stepping on my toes in any way. You would not be horning in on me. Actually, a source for hitches would benefit everyone. I would even be willing to collaborate with any legitimate fabricator.

I found pictures of belly blades on ebay and I think this site. I used thouse pictuers and my plow hitch to make one for my Broadmoor. I used pipe for the frame and some flat stock for the rest. As for the blade I had a pice of plate I use a work in my truck. I used a cut off wheel and cut a line across the blade. I didnt go all the way thur. With it thinner I was able to bend it. I then welded the cut for strengh. I still have to paint it but it does work good. Elon [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/grader1.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/grader2.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/grader3.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/grader4.jpg[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by gregc
Good show Elon.8D That's making good use of what's at hand.;)
I agree...Elon you seem to be quite handy for making things up that do the job...I had to pay about $80 for my factory Broadmoor grader blade and hitch...

Dutch, Yes I am new to this group, but not new to tractors. I have been collecting Olivers for a number of years and specialize in the 1935 to 37 Hart Parr 70's. I like to offer parts and pieces that no one else supply's and try to sell both Oliver and Simplicity parts from tractors I part out at prices collectors can afford since this is suppose to be a fun hobby not an expensive one. I bought my firt tractor when I was 13 a new Allis B-12 with a helpfull banker and my dad I got a tractor, dozer blade, mower, wagon and snow blower. I paid it off in 1 year mowing lawns. I wish I had it now. I would be happy to work with you in any way. with a set of plans I could come up with a sell price for the hitch and offer it to everyone without them having to get in the e-bay bidding war. I am sure there is no patent still in effect. thanks john

I'm jumping on the bandwagon here. I would also like to get one of these hitches for a center blade. So if anyone is going to fabricate these, count me in. Thanks.

Great, I have fabricated many different intems in my day from building a complete pumping system for a fire department, building a hydrostatic tractor of my design, log splitters, trailers, tractor/engine modifications, farm machinery modifications, my own motorhome and etc. The "Great" is seeing this post generate the common interest of a need by someone and the willingness of two gentlemen with the tools and knowledge to supply in a cooperative manner. GREAT WORK guys!! This is the way good people do it..