Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
badcars

mystery fluid

badcars
got the 738 out today to show the neighbor the rattle can paint job. noticed in third and reverse had a growling noise. may of never heard it beforei installed the stack muffler, as the machine is much quieter now. so into the transaxle fluid i go, open the fill plug. this thing is way over full. like a quart over. then open the drain plug. a brown foamy mess. drain it all, flush, flush and flush till it runs clean. put in clean oil and drive it around. well the noise is about 75% gone. i dont know the rest may just be the nature of the transmission in high gear. the noise is only ther in third and rev, i assume they share some common components since the travel in both is about the same speed.......so.... how did this water get in there. i dont run it in water. the seals appear good. is there some kind of vent tube i havent seen. i ask because i sprayed it all off before i put the bodywork back on. just curious so i dont do it again, and i really dont want to overhaul a transmission this weekend...... badcars

roma3112
Chris Judging on what ou posted here I would sa that the foam you encounterd was not due to water in the fluid but it was due to the overfilling. What happens when the tranny is grosely overfilled there is no rooom for the fluid to expand and it foams up. If you described the fluid as milky white them mabee i would suspect water in the fluid, but brown and foamy leads me to think no water and just froth from overfilling. Now as far as your noise, depending on how long it was overfilled, that noise may be due to lack of lubrication, when the fluid foams up it looses mostof its lubricating properties. Hopefully the damage if any is not bad. I am sure some of the more educated members will be abel to give you a more expert answer but i think i am not too far off take care john

HubbardRA
I have had a loose rattling noise in my 61 Wards at times ever since I got it, but no problems have surfaced. I've had it for nearly 20 years with about 15 years of that as an active tractor pull machine. No tranny breakage yet.