Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

anyone tried a chipper/shredder

badcars

anyone ever tries to build a chipper shredder. just curious, a sleeve hitch pto unit would be cool. like the mighty vac unit on this site. let me know something if you would... badcars

Never thought of building one. I have one I need to tear apart and paint. Its a MaKissick. If you want some detailed pics when I tear it down just ask.

I have got two, 1 McKissic Shredder Grinder and 1 McKissic chipper shredder. The Shredder Grinder is set up to be mounted on the rear of the tractor and the Chipper Shredder will be. The difference between them is the Shredder Grinder only has hammers and loads from the top and will only take about ½" limbs safely. The Chipper Shredder has hammers and flywheel with a knife and loads from both the top and side. The side chute will take 2½" to 3" limbs.

I have two chipper/grinders. One will be hooked up to the rear of my Landlord this summer. I would be hesitant making one. The speeds of the hammers and the balance needed might create a death machine if not done correctly.

One could be made safely and with relative ease out of an old hammer mill feed grinder. Sometimes our hogs got feed a few tree branches when my brother and I were feeling expermental.. MPH

just curious, do they contain a heavyflywheel of sorts and do they rely on inertia or is it done another way. the others i have seen with their own power seemed to have a very heavy internal mass. just thought it would be a neat project. badcars

I'm in the market for one of the makissic chipper shredders for simplicity PTO, if there is one loose around here and the price is right. I've got a lot of brush to clear.

Never had the chance to try or own one... I have seen some that I could of had if my tractor funds wasn't so low. :(

I would love to have a chipper/shredder for my Sovereign. Just haven't found one at the right price yet. Doesn't make sense to put tree trimmings at the curb for city pick up; then go buy mulch.

quote:
Originally posted by thedaddycat
Now that's a bit of "fiber" in the diet for sure.....lol
You aren't kidding... Wonder if they got slivers.....:D:D

We're currently selling one for a fellow,its got a 25 hp Wisc. eng and she takes 8 inch diameter stuff with no sweat at all!,it has a 3/4"X maybe 3.5 ft dia. plate wheel with 2 -6 inch cutter bars on it and is a truck loader type.Whole xmas trees in it are great fun!,,.and they smell so nice mulched up!,,

dlc, Out of curosity, what is the asking price for the Christmas tree shredder? Maynard, How does the McKissic chipper shredder work when doing large diameter branches/limbs? Thanks,