Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

starter / generator

RickS

While clearing snow from my driveway last night I managed to burn up a bearing on my starter generator. While it still starts and charges the battery, the bearing on the end opposite the pulley is exposed. The unit does make a loud grinding noise when in operation. Thus I need a new starter generator. Or can the old one be repaired? This is on a 3416H. What would a good price be? If anyone has any advice please let me know. Thanks Rick.........

I definetely would take it in to have a new bearing put in place. Bearing should be relatively cheap to replace rather than complete unit. And if you need complete unit, check the club classifieds, someone had 10 units for sale.

Go to an auto electric shop, I think the last time I had bearings and brushes put in it was something like $25 for them to test it out, clean it up and do the work. I have them test it first just to make sure I'm not putting new parts in a S/G that may need to be replaced anyhow. Besides, the guy I go to is good enough that he can usually tell from the sound what's up with it......

thanks for the suggestion. The concern I have is it appears as if the case itself is broken. I can actually see the bearing. I will double check the classified to try and locate the ad. Will any S/G work or do I need a specific one? Rick.........

My local motor repair shop charges a flat $35 labor and parts to fix them. Endplates are available. Most expensive repair to date $160. Endplate, armature, bearings and brushes. As New.

Which starter/generator do you have? One type has a bushing, and is totally enclosed. The other type has a ball bearing and there is an pressed in plug covering it. The bushing type has a protrusion on the cover that is rounded on the end. The protrusion is about 7/8" in diameter. The bearing type has no protrusion. The recess for the bearing and plug is about 1 1/2" diameter. If you have the ball bearing and it went bad, the plug could have fallen out and exposed the bearing, or the plug could have fallen out earlier and allowed dirt and moisture to enter the bearing, causing it to fail. The ball bearing is easy to replace. It's a pretty standard bearing for generators and alternators. Pat

If you are handy at all, there are rebuild kits on eBay. That with a bit of sandpaper(not emery cloth) and you should be set. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34202&item=2452977053 This site will put you in eBay and from there you can to to a company-Jebcore-that has kits and generators. Since your generator was still charging, I would go the rebuilding way.

Thanks for geting back to me. My end cap appears to be removeable, and is used to mouht the S/G to the motor. I can see where the bushings screw into the S/G. Given the end cap is cracked, is it still rebuildable? What more information do you need? Rick....... Rick..........

Endcaps are can be replaced and welded. The bushings/bearings should be pressed in and out. I use a vise to do mine since I haven't bought a press yet. If you have a good old mechanic around, he might be willing to take on the challenge and show you how to do it. If you were around here, I would do the same for you.

Most Starter gen/alt shops have everything to repair these with. The one around here doesn't throw away any serviceable parts so if they don't have it new they will have a good used piece.

Rick, I've now rebuilt 3 or 4 of these s/g in the last month or so, not hard to do. I had excellent dealings with JEBCO, his bearings aren't "made in USA" but what is these days? More importantly his price was very reasonable, I paid less than $30 for 3 sets of bearings,2 sets of brushes and 1 bushing (for the newer ones without the 2nd bearing) including shipping! If in doubt E-mail them with any questions. Just my 2c worth. Good luck!

Rick.. If your starter generator is the type with the ball bearing, I have an end cap that you can have for the price of the postage. I might even have the bearing too.

Anyone know if the JEBCO brushes are specifically designed for a S/G? Standard generator brushes are not designed to take the starter current. Just curious.

I had this same thing happen to My 3410S the bushing went out and the armerture was rubbing on the fields.... Took it to a local shop.. I think it was like $8.00 and he pressed the new bushing in.....(I already tore it apart)

Thanks for all the offers. I took the S/G to an electric motors shop. They are planning to rebuild it. The owner said it happens all the time and they have the parts. It was just too cold to work on it outside. (twelve degrees below zero.) RenegadeJ if I need the part, I will let you know. thanks again for all the help. Rick.........

Last july a new start/gen was 179.63$ and then the new one I bought instead of having to buy a new one, I had it rebuilt,new bearings, brushes and posts for 34.95$. Start/gens are very expensive and if at any way possible I would have it rebuilt. :D

Roy I'm not 100% positive of the answer to the brush question that your asking. I did ask him wether or not the bearing were correct for these s/g's and he was correct about that so I just assumed that they would be the correct brushes....so far I haven't had a problem but then again I haven't put many hours on them since the rebuild. I guess my best suggestion would be to email them directly.