Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Ronald Hribar

3314 H rear end

Ronald Hribar
A while back in a post on moving snow it was mentioned that the party locked up the the rear end of tractor. I asked how this was done. And it was explained to me. And I thought for the type of work I do with tractor it would work for me also.. Yesterday I removed all 4 wheels from tractor. I am putting new ribs on the front and ag tires in rear. I noticed that the "passenger" side of tractor, the right side when viewed from the rear. Had some type of traction device on it. Did not investigate further, but thought I would draw on expertise of club to let me how to if possible adjust for maximum traction. It will be several days before I get new tires on, and wouldn't you know that they are calling for a couple inches of snow

thedaddycat
That sounds like your differential to me. Check out this link that Kent posted in Tech Tips, for the Resources section that has been indexed. You'll find more than you need in here to get you started, I'm sure. Look under Transmissions and Rear Ends, then under that in the Axles and Differentials topic. I might even have a pic or two in there somewhere...... lol http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_articles.asp?sectionid=5&area=3

IronPony
I have been reading this thread and just wondered what my AC712 had in the rearend. Checked my Operators manual and found that the differential is a "Planetary Spur gear - Controlled Traction" type. My understanding is this is a "posi-traction" style rearend. Am I right? If I am, what is this thread talking about? Is it a true "locked" differential?? Dan

MPH
Buy putting the gear in these differentials backwards you can lock up the rear end, guess pullers do it often. My B-112 was that way when I chopped it outta the willow bushes and had about a 40 acre turning radius. There is two set screws on them that you use to set the amount of limited slip action. Thing factory specks call for 25 foot lbs. Now I have no clue if they kept this system on the newer tractors like the AC 712 having never seen one.. MPH

HubbardRA
The later model tractors such as the AC712 have spring loaded spider gears that produce high friction and reduce wheel spin. They are not locked, and do not totally lock up, so it is still possible to get stuck with only one wheel spinning, but it is more difficult to get stuck than with a totally open non-friction rear such as the old type with the set screws completely loostened.

MikeES
Marty, As a tractor puller you may be surprized to know that we use the newer differentials (the ones with springs) but take the springs out and put in the spacers from the older diffs. In hard pulling the springs can compress, spider gears shift, and wham-o, you have hash. After taking out the springs, we have not blown a diff in 5 years of pulling. The places that we pull, lock differentials are illegal, they are VERY dangerous. If you suddenly get good traction with one rear wheel, you are instantly sideways. It also takes 40 acres to turn them around.