Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
mowerman1193

Voltage regulator wiring dilema

mowerman1193
Ok I figured I would try to get my Broadmoor 728 to charge the battery again...Thought I would try a regulator from my Broadmoor 717 but from what I can tell they are diffrent.. The one on the 728 just has the 3 terminals out front of the regulator.. L,batt and F terminals... The one on the 717 has those terminals plus it had a wire terminal hooked underneath the regulator... Can this regulator be hooked up to the 728 just like it was on the original regulator and leave the terminal on the underside unhooked? I thought I read I could do that somewhere..I tried it but when I went to hook my neg cable back to the battery it sparked and then started to turn the motor over by itself...I am going to go back out to make sure I didn't get a wire crossed but in the meantime maybe someone can tell me if this can be done... Thanks,

HubbardRA
L, B, and F terminals should be the same on both regulators. The extra terminal is usually an accessory terminal that allows the accessory load to be pulled from the alternator without going through the load resistors on the bottom of the regulator which are used to prevent contact burning in the relays.

gregc
Kevin, Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't think the regulator on your 728 had an "L" terminal on it. If it has only three terminals they should be "Bat", "Gen" and "F" reading from left to right. The other regulator will work. The terminals on it should be "L", "Bat", "F" and the one underneath is the "Gen" terminal. The "L" terminal is the lights or accessory terminal. Hope this helps.

mowerman1193
Greg,You right and thats why I was having problems..I didn't know what terminal was for what on the one regulator...I got fed up with it and went back to my post the other day as someone told me to ground the F terminal at the S/G and if it charged then the regulator or wires was bad...well it charged so I started looking for wire problems and found that someone cut the fuse link out of it and just twisted the wires back together...I put a fuse link back in and cleaned up all my connections and put the original regulator back on...still not charging so I thought what the heck and took the top off the regulator.The contact points inside was looking a little burnt like so I took some fine sandpaper and cleaned those up and guess what....It charges now!... Now my lights flicker when running about half throddle or more..Guess I will look to see if those wires might have a loose connector somewhere... I am just glad to have it charging now and no money was needed..

tractormike
The lights flickering at half throttle may be from how the regulator is set as to when it starts to charge. The amount of charging is set by how strongly the fields on the generator are grounded out. The contact points of the regulator may be bouncing at that particular engine rpm causing the charging rate to very and cause the lights to flicker, kind of like when the amp gauge of some tractors flickers back and forth sometimes.

mowerman1193
quote:
Originally posted by tractormike
The lights flickering at half throttle may be from how the regulator is set as to when it starts to charge. The amount of charging is set by how strongly the fields on the generator are grounded out. The contact points of the regulator may be bouncing at that particular engine rpm causing the charging rate to very and cause the lights to flicker, kind of like when the amp gauge of some tractors flickers back and forth sometimes.
Well I don't know what was causing the lights to flicker...They stopped doing it while I was out running the blower..May have been just cause the battery was almost dead and once it got charged up it stopped?Don't know but anyway it stopped

dhardin
The L terminal is the lights. the terminal on the back is the Generator conecton. The center terminal is the battery or the line coming from the ammeter. The field is the terminal on the left side as u stand faceing the frount of the tractor. I just went through this last week or so. Works great and cost a lot less the the larger 3 pole regulator but works. I got the wiring details from club menber. I am finishing a new smaller mounting bracket that hold the regulator and uses the holes for the larger foot print regulator that is driled in the bulk head. like to see ill post a pic.