Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

polarise S/G

RenegadeJ

When installing a new generator and regulator and it doesn't charge, does it need polarised? If so which terminals should be connected to do this.

A newly installed generator should always be polarlized. Here's a link to the why, and how to > http://web.utk.edu/~tprather/FoothillsTractorClub/TechTips/PolarizeGenerator.html

Thanks Dutch..I knew I had to jump a wire between 2 posts on tne regulator, but just couldn't remember which ones.

Thanks Dutch for that link...Good info there that I didn't know...I was just working on my S/G today so maybe I should polarize it..

If I remember correctly, the generator is automatically polarized when the starter is engaged. Was on a post here a while back. This applies only to S/G's; not generators only.

The 1st sentence of the link Dutch just gave says WHY you have to polarize,only for pos//neg ground issues all our stuff is neg grd.,hence no polarization should be needed.I dont know of any LG's that were pos grd? A LOT of farm tracs[my cub lo- boy for one!] and old cars//trucks were,,