Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractormike

rokon2813

In a tiny picture you posted to David of your Simplicity is the funny colored fender in the background a Pennsylvania Panzer???

Lol! Yes it is, rokon. (If I can answer for tractormike). I just asked the same question. The tractor is pictured in tractormike's gallery. I know a guy who has one. It's painted dark red, though. Awesome little tractor. Very heavy. I'd like to have one. Tacey

Cool. I was just about to put an old Haban Sickle Bar Mower on Ebay. Going through the paperwork with it I found a blueprint with instructions for mounting it on a Panzer. Just thought it was an interesting coincidence to see (almost) a picture of a panzer on here within 10 minutes of reading about one. Panzers are rare enough alone, how rare would it be to have one with a sickle??? }:)

Rokon, send me some picks of that mower and how much your asking for it. Yes that is my panzer. It is kind of a rare duck from what I can find out. I know of only 3 other ones around here and I'm buying one of those 3 next week. The panzer is heavy built but it is pretty crude compared to my simplicity 2010 with the hydro lift of the same year. The panzer does get a lot of looks at tractor shows.

That is one NICE lookin tractor in person too. Saw it last year at the Rhinelander picnic. Also Mike, how's the tricycle coming along?

Hey, I recognize that sickle! LOL There were a couple of Panzer's at the Colchester show Dan they were bright blue(teal)I'll see if I have a pic somewhere. [img]/club2/attach/reeds/dscn0511m.jpg[/img]

Kris, I bought a set of decals for the massey so now it is wait till spring to take it all apart for painting. I got all the bugs out of it except to decide if I want to slow the top speed down or not. Maybe I'll bring it to rheinlander as it seems the last 2 years I have brought an odd duck to that show.

I don't know Mike that top speed of that Massey is faster than my old Chevy :D Hey SmilinSam might like that Massey (He likes Red)

Mike, I like the Massey. Who did you get your decals from? That narrow front is cool! What size motor is that on it? I've got an MF12 Hydro, its rough and needs a motor, It started out as a freebee but now I've got $250 into it and its still junk! I'm a sucker for it though. I like how they look like a big MF 1170 or whichever. What are the MF's rear rims from?

Now THAT looks like a real tractor........... Right guys?........ Even with the running boards;) It should be a real beauty with fresh paint.

Nice Massey! What h.p. is it? Is it a worker, with attachments avail. or was it more of a promotional thing? What year is it? I read that a garden tractor called a "Panzer" used a '39 Plymouth rear end for the rear axle, but those tractors look slightly small to have such a heavy rear end, yet someone said, here, they were very heavy? Is this the same Panzer? Either way, their certainly nice looking. Thanks.

I haven't seen alot of those panzer's There was one in alocal paper "For Sale" on day, It was sold before I called... I always liked the Panzer's...

I got the decals from a place called Maple-Hunter lawn and garden tractor decals in College Station Texas. He has decals for cub cadets,economy, case, speedex, bolens and massey garden tractors. The panzers do have a narrowed plymouth car rear end in them. They use the drum brakes also and that gives you individual brakes for each side so you can spin them around a pretty tight circle. The front grill is all cast iron and the rear end is driven by a three step pulley from the engine to a chain and sprocket setup on the pinion shaft of the rear end. My massey was drug home as pretty much a pile of junk. I had always wanted to build a narrow front tractor and I though it would be a good start to my custom tractor. It now has 15 inch rear rims that were space saver car rims that have the right bolt pattern to fit the 5 bolt tractor hubs. The rear tires are salvaged from a small irrigation boom. The front rims are 6 inch wheel barrow rims with tri rib tires on them. The engine is out of a 7 horse snowblower that I found. The steering sector is out of a 416 allis chalmers. With the bigger tires on it the massey sits up quite high and has a fast top speed. The original mower deck will no longer work on it and I would quess neither would most of the original attachments for it but it still pulls carts and wagons well. Some may say I have to much "stuff" but I call it raw material gathering. I'll post a picture of my panzer along with a "before" picture of my massey. Glad you like my projects. I rebuild the allis and simplicity tractors but the other makes are subject to modification!

I am still trying to figure out the picture thing yet so here goes

sorry the pictures are so big,I have not figured out how to resize them yet. Mike

I always like those Masseys..Wish I had kept the one I redid a couple years ago...Yours looks about like mine did when I first got it... Below is a picture of the one I had during its restoration...

Nice looking Massy Kevin but it looks like you lost your--- and didn't know which way too turn on that restore job.. Mike, for some reason your Massey looks a lot better then I recall it looking on your first posting of this project. Did you have the 15 inch tires on it from the start?? MPH

Those are the original rear tires I put on it. Could be that the tires are kind of narrow ( 6.70 x 15) and don't look very big looking at the tractor straight on.

Mike: I like the big pics--can really see what's what! Those Massey bar treads caught my eye before you mentioned them. I like how they swell, slightly, out of the rims--makes them look more "scale" than many bar treads I've seen made for our tractors. The Panzer is very cool--are they shorter and smaller than a Landlord, slightly? That's the feeling I'm getting. Although I'll bet they're heavier, huh? Is the Massey tippy with that narrow front end, or does it just feel that way b/c it goes so fast? I understand it's more of a light duty unit now, for your use, but I was just curious.... You're definitely very creative and talented. It looks so professionally-done, I never once thought it was anything execpt a production model, especially with it's "survivor/original" look, as opposed to if it had a fresh repaint. Definitely looks like an older-model, miniature farm tractor. Very cool. Thanks again. Peter

I could have bought a panzer for 50 bucks last year, no motor. When I get up to the lake this spring I'll see if the guy still has it. Mike

tractormike.do you have the e-mail address for maple-hunter.i got decals from him before but lost is e-mail address.he made me a set for my 410 allis chalmers i did.thanks

The email address for maple-hunter is lawngardendecals@yahoo.com The massey goes about 16 mph and it does have a short turning radius and I don't think it would be a good idea to try to whip it around at full speed. It is quite stable going up hills and on side hills as the rear wheels dish out so it is wider than original in the back end. I built it in 2 days this fall. Total cost in parts so far with the decals is about $150.00. Glad you guys like my project. I like to start with a pile of stuff and see what you can make out of it. The panzer is a little smaller that a landlord but probably weighs about the same.

quote:
Originally posted by KSever
I don't know Mike that top speed of that Massey is faster than my old Chevy :D Hey SmilinSam might like that Massey (He likes Red)
I think its neat with the narrow front, but I don't want any of those AMF built ones. I still have a pretty good deck shell laying here for sale from the last tractor I picked up. That sickle mower of Rokon's is similar to what fits on the AC Homelites, though there was alot more mounting hardware used for them than whats in the picture. Not sure but I have suspicions that the 300/400 series AC's used the same sort of HAban setup too.