Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

old simplicity cultivator

Chris727

Got this for $20 8D

I can't find one quite like this anywhere. The cultivator shanks are all three on each side welded to the frame with no adjustment possible other than adjusting all three on each side to the left or right. All of the ones in pictures and on the microfisch have 3 shanks on each side attached to a sort of S shaped bar and each individual shank can be ajusted. Does anyone know if this one looks to be "hacked" or was this original? I'm guessing its from the forties and it was originally with one of the smaller models of walking tractors. It looks like it will work fine for my corn. Going to look for some new spades for it tommorow. If anyone can tell me anything about experiences with these cultivators I'd appreciate it. Thank you. Chris

Chris, I have one on my David Bradley. Use it all the time. They work pretty decent and it sure beats the hoe. I'll have to look but I think I got a couple extra tines around of both the straight and the shovel style.

I have seen one of these or Similar on a Simplicty Walk behind a guy I know has... It looks to me like the Spades are just like The david bradley and Brinly I have uses...

This cultivator was made in the late 1940's to 1945's. Fits Simplicity 2 wheel walking tractors model B. This cultivator is all original,only missing the handle. The wheels on early Simplicity cultivators were cast iron,later were pressed metal. [url]www.simplicityva.com[/url] Karl

Chris I agree with Karl, it is a unit for the two-wheel tractor. Notice the adjustment handle pointing to the rear. The ones for the early Bseries and 700/725s were like this but the handle faces forward for adjustment from the tractor. You can change the handle easy because the frame has a set of reverse mirrored holes already there. My culti has the "s" frames Dan mentioned and a few more shovels so it looks like someone has re-engineered yours. It was worth every penny of $20 anyway Chris. Karl, Thanks for the lesson on the wheels. Mine are the ones with holes around them and the tires have "Simplicity mfg." molded on the sidewalls.

I went to the farm and home store yesterday and found they've got a large variety of shovels, sweeps, half-sweeps, and chisels. And the best part is they are cheap. They've got the kind with a point on the top and the bottom for $1.60 each, I guess when one gets worn you can flip it over and have a new point? I've seen the half sweeps mounted on the inner two shanks, I suppose for better crop clearance. I guess over time I'll collect all the types of sweeps shovels. I think I'll get a lot of use out of that cultivator. Karl, your site is great! Thanks for the info guys. -Chris