Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

carb adjust

toad270

I need help with adjusting my carb on my B-10 I just got it home tonight and idle goes up and down. I seen a forum about it last night but cant find it tonight. It was about adjust screws at low rpm and at high rpm can anyone HELP ME???

original owner said all thats been done to it was hand lap the valves I lived across the street from him for 28 yrs. He has another a want to buy of him but he wont let it go yet. I put a new carb on it 2 yrs ago.

Well, The general procedure to adjust the mixture on a carb is to "lean" the mixture (usually by turning the screw clockwise, untill the engine speed starts to drop. then "richen the mixture (counterclockwise), taking note of how many turns of the screw are required, untill the engine speed begins to drop. Find the center, i.e. if you turned the screw 1 1/2 turns from lean to rich, turn the screw back 3/4 turn from the rich position. As a note, the varying engine speed could also be a govenor issue ....

Sometimes the governor springs get sticky. Try cleaning them of dirt, grease, and what not, one by one. It may sound silly, but it's worth a try. It could also be leaning out. Try slowly turning the high speed mixture screw clockwise. It's the one that points out at the front of the carburetor.

There are several pst on adjusting the card and govenor. I used this procedure (THANKS Al - it worked and was simple enough for me to follow).Posted in an earlier post by AL: Hi, The way they teach it at the Briggs school, Forget about clockwise or counter clockwise. [Assuming the correct carb] Just take the governor arm and move it in the direction that opens the carb wide open. Holding the arm so the carb is wide open, loosen the bolt on the arm and turn the governor shaft in the same direction the arm rotated when opening the carb. When the shaft hits the stop, tighten the bolt while the carb is wide open. Same with Kohler. Much simpler than trying to remember cw or ccw. Remember the governor weights must be held in when the carb is wide open and then they work against the spring to control the speed. Also if the engine is hunting, to determine if it is the carb or the governor, turn in the idle stop screw and hold the carb shaft against the idle stop. If the engine idles OK, then run the stop screw in more and hold it against the stop. If it runs good at mid speed with the throttle shaft fixed it is a governor problem. If the engine is erratic with the throttle shaft fixed, it is a carb problem. Personally I just hold the shaft by hand, but in school they teach using the screw for a stop. Good luck, Al Eden