Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 5216 H With Transmission Problem

hogensa

Tractor belongs to a friend and I offered to try and get running. Engine runs fine but the tractor doesn't operate in forward or reverse. Fluid level is OK in res. under seat. What experience have readers had with this hydro as to problems and solutions? For a tractor of this age is it worth tearing it down and rebuilding? How difficult a process is rebuiding? Tractor also needs both front spindles (owner forgot something called grease), all four tires and possibly front wheels due to excessive wear in the hubs. (due to above lack of grease) Comments and suggestions welcome and appreciated. Sam

i would begin by checking the freewheel valve, this is used to push the tractor when it is not running. Make sure the valve is in the correct position. good luck with it

Just as roma3112 said, there is a freewheel lever on the back that you must rock the tractor and push it down to engage it. Should be the only problem

Is the "freewheel valve/lever" to which you both refer the one under the seat? Instructions are to push it forward to push tractor and move to the rear to operate. It was in the correct position when I tried to operate the tractor. Or, is there another lever or valve I'm not aware of? Thanks for your interest and comments. Sam

Hi, Check that the belt is on and the tightener is working. If it has set for a long time with the parking brake set, the pivot on the belt tightener may be seized. If the belt is tight and the hydro pulley is turning, and the lever is out of bypass, you will need to find out if the problem is in the hydro or the transaxle gear train. Al Eden

• 2 weeks later...
To thedaddycat... Where is the filter located that you referred to? I don't see one in either the repair manual or parts listing. I have not yet changed fluid. To Al Eden ... Belt is tight and pully on hydro is turning and lever is out of bypass. Start tearing it down? A part of my original question was "is it worth tearing it down and rebuilding" given age and other problems. Also how difficult a job? Is problem more likely to be in hydro or transaxel? Thanks

Im lost, What transmission does this have?? On my sunstrand, the buttons get stuck down and it wont move, on my vickers, the lever must be fully down when you rock the tractor. Sometimes hard to engage

Hi, This has an Eaton connected to a Peerless gear train. I would check to be sure the axle isn,t turning. If not, I would check to see that the linkage is connected to the pump assy and is operating it. Next I would remove the transaxle assy and remove the hydro pump. Then you can check that the gear is connected solid to the output shaft on the hydro and can turn the gear it meshes with in the gear train to see if the gears turn the axles. If the gear train is OK, you might as well get ready to buy a hydro assy. The cost of the parts to fix it exceeds the cost of the pump/motor assy. I would need to check, but I think a new Eaton for that wil be about 625 to 675. I can check what I can get a rebuilt through Eaton for. The last one I got was only about 75.00cheaper as the only thing they use is the case everything else is new. Keep in mind that there is a bolt ahead of the battery going down through the tractor frame into the gear case that has to come out to drop the gearcase assy out. If you take the pump/motor assy apart, you MUSY NOT let the balls out of the pump or motor rotor assy come out of the holes and get mixed up. These are selectively fit at the factory to their respective hole to within 10th of thousanths and even in a new unit if this happens you will need to thow the rotor assy away as these clearances are not forgiving. We cut a rubber band from a small inner tube and put around the rotor assys to hold the balls in while the rotor is still in the unit. If the cam rings are cracked, the balls will be damaged and the cam ring and rotor will be between 375 and 425. This is for the pump side and the motor would be in the same area, so you see it is not worth fixing these units as it usually costs more than a complete pump assy and then everything is new. Good luck.