Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

King of the hill

clyde

Well, finally got to use the Landlord to plow. Only about 4-5 inches, and it was real light, but I could plow up my driveway in 2nd gear with the throttle less than a quarter open! A little hard to see the tractor, but: [img]]/club2/attach/clyde/snow.JPG[/img] Since this was the first chance I've gotten to use the tractor since I got it running I was real happy! I never got around to fine tuning the carb so I had to run with the choke slightly closed, but it run great. I am thinking I could use a little bigger plow than the 42"er that I have now. Anyone have experiance with larger plows on these rigs? Also, noticed I have a little trans oil leaking from where the shift rod goes thru the tranny. I don't see, from the manual, where there are any seals in this area so I gues this must be wear on the rod or the tranny case? (Or too much oil? I haven't checked yet but think I should probably drain - to make sure it is just oil - and refill). Clyde

I've used the 46" HD plow the entire time I've owned Simplicitys because one came with the first one I ever bought. They are better not so much because of the extra 4" width and heavier construction, but because you can adjust the angle of the blade to any of the five positions from the seat of the tractor instead of having to get off.

Kirk's right about the 46" plow, it's better mainly because it can be adjusted from the seat. The oil leak is normal. Early tractors didn't have a seal on the rear end, and they leak a little oil from that point. Weight and traction are the keys to plowing, not power or engine speed. Still, it's best to run at least 3/4 throttle once the engine is warmed up.

Yes, I have also had experience with the leak. My 416 leaked horribly until I put an o-ring around it and a bolt through the shaft and locked it in tight by turning a lock washer tight on the shaft. Leaks slowly, but nothing to worry about yet. Wasnt too hard to fix it

Thanks for the responses. It would be handy to change the angle from the seat! I've seen a couple of the newer style plows for sale, but nothing close enough or 'reasonable' enough yet. And it is good to know the oil leak is not unusual - that's a relief! When I lived in NH I always had a 4x4 truck with a plow, but we really don't get enough snow here that I think I need one. And except of the heater, the tractor is alot more fun!

Yes I Agree that changing the blade from the Seat is a lot easier... Especiallly if you have a Cab like I do.. I have a dozer blade but I need to rework the hitch to work on my RBT's...

Plowing snow with these tractors sure is fun! I have the 42 inch blade on my 2010 with the hydraulic lift. Don't worry about the oil seeping, all my b series tractors leak a little out the shift shaft. Nice picture and enjoy your tractor!

These little machines are awesome, and yours is no exception. I would caution you on running at low throttle. I have never seen Simplicity recommend running at less than half-throttle for any job. The air-cooled engines need the impleller to move air around the block. Wintertime cold air may relieve the heat, but just to be safe, maintain half throttle at least. My 2 cents. Tacey

I run a 60 inch blade on my 7013, got an older blade off of a polaris 4 wheeler. All I had to do was shorten the frame tubes and weld the ears back on to fit the mounting holes. Tractor has more than enough power to push a full blade of snow. Price was right $40. Rigged up a cable from under the plow to the tractor to trip it, then I just put a corner in the bank to turn it. Total time to refab maybe 2 hours. Jeff

Thanks for the advice on engine speed. It certainly was cold enough yesterday when I plowed, but I hadn't thought about keeping the engine cooler. I think the plow I can 'bolt on' and adjust form my seat is one like this: (?)

But this one might be fun too:

I can remember when I was a kid (don't ask how long ago) that the town had a grader with a V plow and wings on both sides. They could plow back roads in one pass - kind of interesting when they met a car 'tho!

Also running the engine a little faster reduces strain on it. Even though it's only light fluffy snow, it's just a good habbit to get into. When I get a lot of snow, I run the engine full throttle so I have enough power when I get into a bank. I don't believe this is reccomended, but full throttle gives me better momentum to move more snow. I don't have any obstacles in my yard to damage me or the plow and tractor. Rob