Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BGB questions

mbrook

I need to replace the BGB side shaft on mt 3212V. I have one on a 3210V that I plan to replace it with or I'll have a new keyway cut into the original side shaft. Here are the questions I have: 1 Can I remove the side shaft from the BGB without removing the BGB from the tractor? 2 If I replace the side shaft with the one from the 3210V could I run into problems with wear differences between the shafts? 3 Should I replace the complete BGB from the 3210 so I don't have to worry about wear differences? Thanks for any advice in advance.

1 Can I remove the side shaft from the BGB without removing the BGB from the tractor? Yes, but it can be a pain, and you best make sure the ring clips are properly set. 2 If I replace the side shaft with the one from the 3210V could I run into problems with wear differences between the shafts? Hard to say without examining the shaft. If there is any "wear" I wouldn't use the shaft. 3 Should I replace the complete BGB from the 3210 so I don't have to worry about wear differences? That's your decision. Since the BGB is a very important component, my advice is that if you remove the BGB install a BGB that has been completely examined and rebuilt with new bearings, seals, and whatever else is needed. Do it the right way and it will last for many years.

I replaced my BGB gears without removing the unit but i dont have a ring clip to bother with on a Lanlord 101. Its a differnt shaft completly, but dose the same thing. I pulled the shifter rod and cluch/brake rod and the right side, side plate, romoved the right tire and it was not to bad. I would recomend complete removing the unit if you dont like working in small places , or like me with big hands. If you dont have to replace or bother with the input shaft your ok to leave it in. Its a lot of extra work to remove the drive shaft and drive shaft flange, to get it all on the bench. But doing it right is very important, and you can get the help here if need (thank god) so just ask away. GOOD LUCK..

I rebuilt two bgb's this summer and couldn't imaging shimin' and putting in the ring clips, and all that. I like it in front of me under the light, where i can move it around and see every little detail. Thats just me. Rob

I would just replace the whole bgb. If it were a hydrostatic, its much harder, but on the variables, left side will easily come off once you have the tractor in half. They you can undo the bolts and put the new bgb in. Its really not that hard, ive had to do it 3-4 times now, it only takes about an hour for me.

Ok, as long as we're on this subject what do you pros use to remove the ring clips on the shafts? I use the smallest screwdriver I have and several choice cuss words to get them off,anyone have a good tip on this?

quote:
Originally posted by RedbarnRick
Ok, as long as we're on this subject what do you pros use to remove the ring clips on the shafts? I use the smallest screwdriver I have and several choice cuss words to get them off,anyone have a good tip on this?
Consider yourself one of the pros......;)

Rick.... As far as your spring clip question... I have an old pair of snap ring pliers that have had the tips ground so that they somewhat grip the ends of the spring clip. Then I very , very slowly spread it apart and kind of work it out of the groove and off the shaft. It sometimes takes 4 or 5 times but when I use the screwdriver method , I end up gouging up the groove , or the shaft , or jamming the screwdriver into my thumb. Dave