Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractors Get New Home

HubbardRA

Most of my machines have been sitting outside in the past few years. Only one has had the priviledge of being parked in the garage. This is because of the need for working room in the garage, which is also my shop, and because of the items that my wife and kids also have stuffed in the garage. Between Christmas and New Years, I built my tractors a new home.

This vinyl building was purchased from a company called FarmTek. It is 12' x 20' in size. I found it on closeout/overstock for the price of $399. Couldn't pass it up. Kirk, Is this anything like your garage-in-a-box?

It is very well constructed as can be seen from the interior pictures. We were also able to completely erect it in just one day. Just me and my 14 year old son.

Although it is dark green on the outside, the vinyl is white on the inside, with a translucent panel in the top to let in light. Only problem that I have is moisture condensation. I plan to put down a plastic layer on the ground and vents in the top of the ends. These are also sold by FarmTek. The door in the front is just two zippers, then the flap can be rolled up and strapped. It came with all necessary hardware except the anchors to hold it down, which I made from metal fence posts. I would highly recommend one of these units to anyone who is on a tight budget, but needs to protect their tractors. The regular price of one of these units is around $550.

Rod, I'm wondering how it would hold up with the cold and snow loads we get up north of you. It sure seems a reasonable price for storage if it will hold up.

Joe, a similar looking shed has been sold in Anchorage for quite a few years, which has temps closer to your cold days days then mine, with alot of snow. Never have checked into them myself, but like I said, they been around there for quite some time, most thinks that don't work up here go away in a few years.. MPH

I have been thinking about one of those myself...I seen them at the Sam's club...I see a few people have their motor homes and campers in them...Seen one where the guy butted it up to his garage door..kinda like a portable addition,LOL

I have not set mine up yet, but it's similar. From the pic on the box, mine has more of a straight line to the roof instead of the arc like that one....

;)Marty, I keep forgetting that vinyl, nylon, and plastics have come a long way. I would think if there was a question you could order with extra hoops to beef it up a bit. A good friend had one of the corrigated metal (sp)quanssit buildings. That made one nice shop and storage building. :DI keep hinting but mother hasn't ordered me one yet.

I also have on of these buildings 12'x24'. Mine has been through 2 winters now and is doing ok. These building do not take long to fill up.;) I added a couple of vents in my building was getting warm every time the sun was out,even on a cold winter day. Karl

Kirk, They sell these buildings with the straight walls and gable roof. I just thought the round style might put less load on the vinyl and make it last longer. The company predicts the life of the covering to be 10-15 years. They also sell replacement covers. JoeJ, The company sells the pieces individually, so it would be easy to add extra supports if they were needed. They would be very easy to add. I think the largest size of these buildings is 38' x 70'.

I was at members a few weeks back they had something similar it had a roll up door in the end... It seemed to work great.... I also been thinking of coming up with something to store my extra and parts tractors in....

We had one with the translucent greenhouse covering -- lasted 7 winters. Guess the salesman didn't lie when he said it was good for "up to" 20 years! Found it was very important to keep the snow from building up against the sides. Still using the framework, mainly for summer storage.

Looks nice. I've seen the curved roof portables like yours around the area and they appear to brave the winter elements just fine. Some other people in my town have the cheapo Walmart $150 specials, they've all collapsed under the snow pressure. Sad seeing a Harley knocked over under bent supports and thin vinyl. I have a slightly higher quality one I purchased a while back and havn't even opened the box. Originally I thought I'd wait for some trees to be felled for the perfect set up spot. I'm hoping that I may just sueeze through with enough quality to brave some Wintery elements, but could end up like the Walmart portable piles. Hrm, maybe this will be a future tag sale item...

I have a 20 by 20 house style. It holds 250 + bales of hay, a motor boat, and a tractor or two. It is very tight inside for room. I also find it is very important to keep the snow off it and off the sides. If the snow cannot slide off the vinyl, it will collaspe the structure. I use my in Maine and have not had a problem with it in 4 years. Rick.........