Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs 16 single flywheel/starter question

Brent_Baumer

Hi all. I pulled this 16 hp briggs single out of a junked 7116 today to sell to another club member. As can be seen, the flywheel is toothed for a "modern" starter. The club member asked me if I knew if the flywheel could be changed out and used with a starter/generator type starter. I said I thought so but would not guarantee it. Well, when I removed the shroud I see it has the large beveled pulley setup for a rope start, or I assume as S/G belt. [img]/club34/attach/Brent_Baumer/briggs.jpg[/img] Question - Can a starter/generator bracket be bolted onto this engine and line up with the flywheel pulley? I have all kohler's right now and can't look at a briggs setup to compare.

Brent, it will work and besides that, you don't have a choice. When Briggs went to the gear starter they also offered their own stator windings and that changed the make-up of the block and magneto (flywheel)slightly. I put a 16 HP on my 3112H from a Yazoo mower and was going to use old mag from 12 HP and there was interference. I thought it came from the stator suds on the block, cut the studs off, remount mounted old mag and still no go. I then went to the 16 HP mag and everything is ok, it all lined up.

That's not all though. There are 16hp singles with a S/G - without digging out parts books, bear with me. The engine you have should work the way it is, just bolt on the S/G brackets and go. Knowing your engines model, type and code would help. If it is a Magnetron ignition (used after around '81 or '82), then you MUST use a magnetron flywheel. Briggs flywheels may physically interchange, but the polarity of the magnets is opposite from the old points controlled magneto, to the no points Magnetron. The engine will run, but not good enough to even use if the two components are mismatched. Briggs or a good magneto repair shop can repolarize a flywheel to work with the other system. BLT is right also - the aluminum bracket for the mags is different from early to late, and the underside of a S/G only flywheel is shaped differently and will interfere with a later block. I have never actually interchanged some of this stuff, but the individual parts sure look different on the bench. Hope this helps, Tim

The model,type,code: #326437 0333-01 810219 Has points and condenser and what looks like the top piece of a large flo-jet carb. Rest of carb is missing. Thanks, Brent

Brent, Flywheel doesn't need to be changed since the pulley is already on the engine. Just make a flywheel cover for the shroud to keep it cool, and bolt on the starter/generator. Mag should work with the existing flywheel.

Old blower Housing is used for itd interfsce to drive shaft. Actually its a rope pull pulley as well as starter generator pulley. Someone put a 18hp briggs twin in my 7117H used the same blower housing for drive shaft attachment. Worked fine other than heat ducting was screwed up and you could fry an egg on the hood.